Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9111213

Thread: Steel Assault - Famicom-styled action platformer (PC, Kickstarter)

1. Yes, but you have to build around this guy:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ptonbj01.shtml

I can work with Melvin Jr.

Your mom can work with Melvin Jr.

Cliff Harris gets it:

Quote Originally Posted by GI
    In his lifetime, Harris explained, Moore's Law has proved to be accurate. Computing power has rapidly increased while the cost of accessing that power has plummeted, to the point where the first games Harris played now seem rudimentary, even laughable. Bug-Byte's Manic Miner has many good qualities as a game, he said, but it "looked like shit" even in 1983. All games did, in fact, due to the limits on what was technically possible. "We can do incredible stuff these days," Harris reminded the audience, and yet the indie scene has become defined by a prevalent lack of interest in doing so.

"My problem is that indie games still look like that. I mean, I get it: pixel art can be an aesthetic choice... But nobody cares about performance in indie games any more. We get a free pass. We have to be edgy and cool because we're indies, but we never innovative on performance."

5. Lots of them take the 8-bit look, but then you get things like Megaton Rainfall-

The developers who can use 8-bit as a valid art style will do ok, those who use it get work done cheap won't do as well. Example of one that does it right- Axiom Verge.

Last edited by James; 04 Mar 2015 at 08:07 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Gets what, exactly? I don't see how someone choosing an art style that may be limited by programmers doing the art has anything to do with the usage of Unity.

Unity is frequently garbage, but that's got nothing to with pixel art vs. performance vs. engine selection. When was the last time someone even used pixel art as an excuse for performance? That whole thing sounds like an imaginary argument he came up with.