Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 35678 LastLast

Thread: Getting Back into Skateboarding

There is a fat guy currently tearing up some freestyle at the Seattle Center skatepark and I really hope it's Compass.

2. Ankle still wonky. Getting old is bogus.
    Boo, Hiss.

3. Ha, that wasn't me. I am not torpid, nor would what I'm capable of be called "tearing it up" unfortunately. Maybe some day still.

Although I did get a nice ego boost today: I met some kids and they were way stoked by the freestyle stuff I can still do, which I guess they'd never seen before. Anything casper or side-of-the-board blew their minds, it was awesome. Even my kickflips, which I'm never satisfied with (can't get them high enough). "They're so clean!" If only they'd seen me in my prime...

There's a really basic trick -- but I always really liked the look of it -- rail-to-rail, where, from rail, you just nudge the nose forward, and the board does a half-flip to the other rail. That's it. Then you usually do a 1 3/4 railflip (or "primo" flip) out or something, but I couldn't land that today. So they only saw the rail-to-rail, and they were freaking out. "Did you see that? Do it again!" Then the one kid spent the next twenty minutes trying to reproduce.

Every skater I've met since starting back up has been super nice.

Progress is still slow for me and maybe always will be. Can't place any more checkmarks in the progress grid. I try to skate for 30 minutes at least every other day. 360 flips continue to elude me. I need to break out of some bad habit muscle memory. I have the flip and rotation down, but my front foot *refuses* to return to the board. I keep placing it to the left side (I'm regular).

I have to go through this "calibration" phase every single time I skate, where for like the first ten minutes, everything feels off. Even just ollies. Anything harder is straight up sketchy as fuck. Don't remember that from when I was younger. Maybe it's because I skated pretty much every day for months on end back then. But I don't like it. It's always demoralizing. "My god, this feels awful! What happened?!" Not sure why I'm still surprised by it. Almost always dialed back in by the end of the session and the difference is night and day.

4. This thread makes me want to break out my spring-stilts. I never did get particularly good at them and basically put them up for good after hanging out with a couple people also on stilts. It was so much more fun not being the only one that being the only person I know with a pair just lost its attraction.

Yes, too old, etc. Fortunately I still bounce if I fall, so that works out.

5. spring stilts?

6. Hell, yes, new trick:

1 1/4 kickflip to rail.

3-in-a-row might be a pipe dream, but then again... I landed my first one a couple days ago, first day I tried it. Then I landed four(!) today, only my third day of trying. Really stoked on that. Granted I probably tried 100 of them. It's impossible to overstate how satisfying it feels to flip it perfectly and click into rail and stick it. Goddamn it's good.

Also got a single railflip and no-handed 50/50 and checked them off the list. Neither of these should be giving me as much trouble as they have. Top of my foot is killing from the 50/50s. I need to put maxipads in my shoe or something...
    Last edited by Compass; 27 Jun 2015 at 11:59 PM.

7. Worth sharing, to say the least.

8. Rodney.

9. He's always been my favorite. I put a 540 Shove It in one of my peabody cartoons.

10. There's also an abortion joke in that one.