View Poll Results: Do YOU think the fighting genre is in jeopardy?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 21.43%
  • No

4 28.57%
  • Maybe

3 21.43%
  • Hell if I know!

4 28.57%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tomonobu Itagaki: Hardcore players killed shmups.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    There are a few fighters that did that:
    Mortal Kombat on PS2/Xbox
    Tobal No 2
    Smash Bros in one form or another
    The problem I have with fighting game story modes is they're nice bonuses but not developed well enough to work as stand alone games.

As for the shooter genre, like others I'm not into that moe bullet hell stuff. I don't really care what Japan is doing nowadays with the genre, though. Western stuff like Resogun and TxK has been satisfying.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Isn't part of growing as a player learning that stuff though? Do you really want the game to tell you exactly what you should do at all times? Also, those strategies change over time. Are you expecting the developers to patch in updates for the flow chart? Are you going to accept it only being 80% correct?
    It's like a lot of the learning in school: the point isn't that you now know how to program in C which will be completely useless for any other environment, it's that you understand how to learn a programming language. The application and figuring out what's good or not in the real world is still up to the player.

Also: You're all crazy. Moe bullet hell is the best. THE BEST.

3. Publishers and developers kill genres not the consumers.

As your user base becomes more hardcore and less in #, the players know more than the devs and publishers become safer with lazy game design (more of the same, hundreds of characters, etc) leading to more user fallout to the eventual, this genre does not sell anymore.
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

4. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Also: You're all crazy. Moe bullet hell is the best. THE BEST.
    The genre's been going downhill since the PSX/Saturn era, imo.

We can still be friends, though.

5. Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    The genre's been going downhill since the PSX/Saturn era, imo.

We can still be friends, though.
    Just for that, check your Steam inventory.

6. QP Shooting is really fun.

God dammit.

How do people find these games?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    How do people find these games?
    We just know.

I was absolutely shocked that when I stumbled onto the White Night page last night that you didn't already have it on your want list.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstBlood View Post
    I'm envisioning a way too serious to the point of comedy single player story mode that teaches fundamentals, as opposed to specific character tactics.

Like some dumb thing where you're entering a tournament and there's a guy beating everyone with cross ups, with AI programmed to do alot of crossups, and after you get it hit by one, the next time he tries a crossup the game pauses, zooms in dramatically and your sensei yells at you, telling you how crossups work and how to block them, the match resumes, you block it, another cross up attempt, game freezes and your sensei yells at you about how to actually counter it.

You know, things that Capcom is definitely incapable of programming.
    I'd play this game. Little old man trainer sounds like a fun idea.