Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Monster Boy - Monster World Spiritual Sequel

1. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    While not a fan of the art style, it doesn't seem any worse than any other indie game that isn't shooting for an 8 bit look. Looks very European to me.
    I don't know, I think Flying Hamster II was looking not too shabby in terms of art style.

Maybe it IS the fact that it kind of looks European to me, and I pretty much think all Euro games form that era looked terrible.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    What is it with shitty artwork in modern sequels to 16-bit games? Rocket Knight Adventures, Commando 3, now this. Why do they always feel that they need to completely change the art style?
    Everybody wants to 'put their own stamp' on something, only they're not as good as they seem to think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

yall need to cut that out. Send out a memo to your art buddies

Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    Maybe it IS the fact that it kind of looks European to me, and I pretty much think all Euro games form that era looked terrible.
    bVork vs. Shidoshi: Iron Cage Match coming soon to TNLTV pay-per-view!

edit: For the record, if you don't appreciate Psygnosis art, there's no hope for you. I'm sure there were other good ones, but they stick out to me.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 31 Jan 2015 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    edit: For the record, if you don't appreciate Psygnosis art, there's no hope for you. I'm sure there were other good ones, but they stick out to me.
    Yeah, I think a lot of better European art back then came from the darker fantasy and sci-fi stuff (Psygnosis, Delphine, Novotrade, etc.). The colourful mascot platformers didn't usually fare as well.

6. I guess my CDi platformers are rubbing off on me. I just don't find this stuff that offensive. But I'm also just looking at it as its own thing, not comparing it to previous WB games. I'm sure that's where most of the disconnect is coming from.

I was looking at it as its own thing when it was Flying Hamster 2. But now that it's pretty much the real deal after over 20 years, I'm more critical.

8. Apparently this is not the only licensed Wonder Boy game in the works right now. On NeoGAF, Omar Cornut, who worked on Tearaway and Soul Bubbles, said he left Media Molecule to work on a new Wonder Boy project, but it's further away than Monster Boy.

It seems like perhaps Westone's bankruptcy has created more opportunities for the license rather than less.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    On NeoGAF, Omar Cornut, who created the awesome Meka emulator and ran (runs?) SMS Power!
    Fixed.

Wonder Boy is quite the whore, isn't he?