Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 810111213 LastLast

Thread: Monster Boy - Monster World Spiritual Sequel

1. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    I'm early in Monster Boy (at snake boss) but it has been impressive so far. It's surreal having a legit new Monster World game in 2018. I never expected much from this when it was first shown. Sadly it probably won't get the kind of attention of games like Hollow Knight but hopefully it will make some new fans of the series.
    That's kind of their fault. They didn't get review copies out early to many reviewers, so reviews kind of dripped out. But they did get some nice coverage from a few big sites like Kotaku and Eurogamer and their Metacritic is quite high.

Also, this grossed $2 million in its first week. Two financially successful Wonder Boy games in two years. We are living in the best (gaming) timeline.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 12 Dec 2018 at 09:51 AM.

That's amazing. If you would have asked me about the possibility a few years back I would have said something to the effect of "we don't need any more retro trash that doesn't live up to the originals." And I would have been wrong.

I'm almost at the end of Monster World 3 I think. I have most of the hearts at least. I <3 it so much, I may have to add it to the list of Genesis games I still need to get physical copies of at some point, which is currently a short list consisting only of Streets of Rage 2.

Wonder Boy in Monster World's box/cartridge art is so bad it makes me not want a physical copy.

I got flashbacks of a cheesy Wonder Boy III TV ad I saw once as a teenager. I love how it only took me a few minutes to find with the internet.

4. Looks like they're delaying the Steam release until next year so Switch can sell, lame.

The art in this game is a big step back.

5. You're a big step back.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. Your mom's a big step back

7. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    The art in this game is a big step back.
    From Dragon's Trap? I think most games are. That game had some really nice art in terms of both direction and execution.

Monster Boy's character designs don't have a lot of style, but I have to say, it's a nice looking game that looks good in motion, and the backgrounds are gorgeous. I think if you put it side by side with something similar like Shantae Half Genie Hero it looks pretty nice.

8. This game is the bomb.

It's way better than any Shantae game. The only really good Shantae is Pirate's Curse.

I thought all the Shantae games were quite good except for maybe the GBC game which I never got into. Risky's Revenge is the most Wonder Boy-like one.