Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9111213

Thread: Monster Boy - Monster World Spiritual Sequel

If I were to rank them:

Pirate's Curse
    Risky's Revenge (even though it's only a partial game nugget)
    Half-Genie Hero
    Shantae

Competent game design starts at Half-Genie Hero and up. Actually a fun game from start to finish are only the first 2.

2. Finally finished off the last boss after not playing for a few days.

Awesome game, overall. There's a bit of a hump to get over in the beginning, since the pig is slow and has terrible range, and the snake is very limited, but luckily the level design is amazing throughout. It's super puzzle intensive in a way the old games never were. It's almost Zelda-like, where every new area is a new uniquely designed puzzle or challenge.

The puzzles are really well designed so you scratch your head for a while, but they're all solvable eventually. Near the end of the game, there is a dungeon where the puzzles become overwhelming, because there are so many of them and you're never really sure which one to focus on or if you even have what you need yet to solve them. It's not so much that any of the solutions are unfair, it's that they aren't gated in a linear way and there are a ton of them. That part was a bit frustrating for me.

But other than that, it's an incredibly strong effort and a worthy entry in the series. I'd like to see them do more.

3. Yeah, I finished the game a couple days ago as well. The Haunted Manor stage was a real bitch, but I had a real sense of accomplishment after beating it. The boss of that stage was kind of cool as well.

Still, probably, in my Top 3 games of the year. I might go back and try to 100% it eventually. As it stands, I had 98% of the map explored, and only 72% overall completion, when I beat the final boss.
    Last edited by magnifiedplaid; 19 Dec 2018 at 04:08 PM.