Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1012131415161828 ... LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

1. Chuck built HHM, not the law itself. It becomes clear fairly early on that he doesn't even like the idea of Jimmy being in the profession, let alone his law firm.

2. because Chuck respects law and doesnt want an ambulence chaser tainting it.

3. It's pretty safe to assume Jimmy would've flown straight if Chuck had been even remotely supportive of his own brother. Chuck is so high and mighty, and true to the law, yet he has ZERO problem basically stealing away Sandpiper and Mesa Verde from the people who did the real work.

4. I actually haven't seen the last episode of the season so maybe I'm missing a key point from the last ep. I'm pretty excited to find out that there was another one to enjoy this season!

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    It's pretty safe to assume Jimmy would've flown straight if Chuck had been even remotely supportive of his own brother. Chuck is so high and mighty, and true to the law, yet he has ZERO problem basically stealing away Sandpiper and Mesa Verde from the people who did the real work.
    This might be true. There's an irony in Chuck policing Jimmy which causes him to need policing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. um, kim stole mesa verde away from HMM, or did you forget her mad dash down the hallway to call Paige.
    Yes, she brought it to HMM in the first place. But, and I may be wrong, but I think it's generally frowned upon to try take clients with you when you leave a business like that.And oh yeah, why did she bring MV there in the first place? To try to win back some good grace after getting fucked by supporting your pal Jimmy.
    My point is, and it's why I love this show so much, is that there is no "good guy/ bad guy." It's just people trying to get by using what they know to do so. Jimmy is a charming dude, but he's always gotten by by preying on other people. He took the binary lesson the con dude taught him and took it to heart. Chuck is skeevy, but it's partially because he's had to deal with Jimmy's fallout his entire life.

6. Yeah in these series generally the characters have good and bad traits that make them interesting and consistent. Except Skyler. She sucks.

7. The thing is, Jimmy TRIED, genuinely tried to fly right, only to get completely shit on by his own brother at every turn. Jimmy went to jail, and faced his fucked-upedness, took a pity job from Chuck in the mailroom at HHM, got his degree, put his life on hold to care for his brother even though he was obviously not sick, and just a whackadoodle. And Chuck is never grateful for the care, tells Jimmy his degree isn't "real", won't accept that Jimmy has a real aptitude for the law, and basically rides Jimmy's coat tails on the whole Sandpiper case.

Jimmy just wanted to do right by Chuck, and no matter what he did, Chuck was always going to see him as Slippin Jimmy. He's 100% responsible for the way Jimmy turns out.

As great as these shows are, there's still a disconnect between Jimmy/Saul in the two for me. Maybe I'm forgetting something but did Saul even once show evidence of a conscience in Breaking Bad? I get that he changes over time but people don't just become sociopaths in the middle of their adulthood.

9. I think if we were to just look at Jimmy "at work," we'd probably just see the character that BB personifies. BCS is the story under the surface, because Saul doesn't get a lot of face time on BB. It's filling in the empty space and creating a narrative, and Gilligan has said some aspects have taken on a mind of their own. But you are right - he didn't show any specific empathetic traits in BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

10. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    As great as these shows are, there's still a disconnect between Jimmy/Saul in the two for me. Maybe I'm forgetting something but did Saul even once show evidence of a conscience in Breaking Bad? I get that he changes over time but people don't just become sociopaths in the middle of their adulthood.
    He did in some aspects but mostly he would cross the line after suggesting alternatives. He did suggest murder a few times but gave good advice most of the time. However I think that's the journey. I'm in no big rush to get there.