Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Preacher

1. Preacher

Well, for you fans of the amazing Garth Ennis/Steve Dillon comic Preacher, there's some news on the upcoming movie version...James Marsden, AKA Cyclops in the X-Men movies, has been cast to play Jesse Custer, the Texas preacher within whose head resides Genesis, a half-angel/half-demon entity whose power is equal to that of God himself.

Ummm...I don't know about this. Jesse is supposed to be this big, tough, rugged, hard-drinkin', take-no-shit Texan and I just can't picture whitebread James Marsden playing him. I've always pictured maybe Jason Patric as Jesse, and Robert Rodriguez directing the movie would be perfect (no director has been announced yet).

Still, I'm going to wait before I start complaining...I've run into too many situations where I've bitched about someone taking on a certain role and then they end up doing a good job at it (Tom Cruise in Interview with a Vampire is a good example). Still, I don't like this casting choice- Marsden just seems completely wrong.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0326004

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Huh. Don't know what to make of this. Anyways, how is Jason Patrick less whitebread than Marsden? Good call on Rodriguez to direct, though.
    pwned by Ivan

3. Preacher is going to make a terrible movie. Just the subject matter alone is going guarantee a ridiculous amount of controversy. Plus the story itself is written so well, that it seems like a travesty to shrink it down to a 2 hour movie. Bah.

4. Originally posted by Green
    Huh. Don't know what to make of this. Anyways, how is Jason Patrick less whitebread than Marsden?
    Go see Narc and say that again. Patric's a great (though very underrated) actor. And he just LOOKS a lot like Jesse Custer.

Good call on Rodriguez to direct, though.
    Thanks. I just picture the movie having a From Dusk Till Dawn/Desperado kinda feel.

Originally posted by negitoro
    Preacher is going to make a terrible movie. Just the subject matter alone is going guarantee a ridiculous amount of controversy. Plus the story itself is written so well, that it seems like a travesty to shrink it down to a 2 hour movie. Bah.
    Yeah, I can't picture shrinking, what, 7 or 8 trade paperbacks worth of comics down to 2 hours of movie. It's going to lose so much...

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. Who's going to play Assface?

6. That's 'Arseface'.

I dunno...any suggestions?

7. Edward James Olmos?

8. Ooooooooooo! Good choice! He wouldn't even need much make-up!

9. Originally posted by Dolemite

Yeah, I can't picture shrinking, what, 7 or 8 trade paperbacks worth of comics down to 2 hours of movie. It's going to lose so much...
    There are so many great moments from the comics that I'd love to see in the movie but I won't, like God biting Jesse's eye out, the Saint of Killers taking out the US Army, Herr Star forced to wipe a retarded hick's ass for his gun, Herr Star getting fucked by a sex detective, hell, even the Saint of Killer's shooting God between the eyes would be priceless..

Only way some of that would happen would be if it were a series of movies. But that ain't happening.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

10. Absolutely... there's absolutely no way they can cram everything into the movie.

Even worse is that in this day and age, the movie necessarily needs to be a contained story before any studio will commit to mutliple parts. Therefore, any non-episodic comic like Preacher is going to have a terrible way finding a translation into movie form.

Basically, I can only imagine the movie being from when Jesse gets his power and then 2 hours later the final confrontation occuring. The whole Herr Star would be an enemy I'm sure but to what extent ? Surely all his scenes will be removed to concentrate on Jesse... Bah.

Jesse's history would probably be taken out. The whole Saint of Killers storyline would be taken out beyond what is needed. Arseface might even be cut out since his story doesn't necessarily drive the main story.

This sounds like the worst idea ever.