Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rodea the Sky Solider (3DS, Wii U)

Rodea the Sky Solider (3DS, Wii U)

Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    NIS America is bringing fantasy adventure-platformer Rodea: The Sky Soldier to North America and Europe in Fall 2015.

From Sonic mastermind Yuji Naka, Rodea: The Sky Solider centers around a 1,000 year-old machine soldier, named Rodea, tasked with protecting the kingdom of Garuda from the Naga Empire.

The single-player game features aerial combat and puzzle solving, as well as upgrade systems for Rodea's abilities, weapons, and stats.
    According to a questionable source we all know and love, the original Wii game will be bundled with the Wii U version as well.

2. Sweet, a Nights-like exclusive for the Wii U? Sign me up!

This looks awesome.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

4. This lists the differences between each version. I was under the impression that 3DS and Wii U were different, but it looks like the only difference is the limitations of the 3DS.
    http://nintendoeverything.com/learn-...u-3ds-and-wii/
    Donk

5. Last edited by Geo; 10 Jun 2015 at 06:21 PM.

That's a two week delay that, pending E3 announcements, actually cleans up its release window a bit. For now September is a lot more loaded than October.

7. So it's a fun game. But a weird game. A very Good-Bad Game.

Apparently when the Wii version came out, the publisher wanted Yuji Naka and co. to port it to 3DS. Since the original is entirely pointer control based they ended up shoehorning those into an analog-based control scheme. So you get analog movement with a pointer 'deadzone' and other weird things. Also, levels were retooled to be more adventure/platform-ish, where the original was more score attack/arcadey. With this release, The Wii U has a port of the 3DS version, and the original version (on a straight up Wii disc no less) while the 3DS one is just that version, plus an OST.

Personally, I think the Wii U version is the way to go, to see the differences between design approaches, but I wouldn't recommend paying full price for either. Right now it's a curiosity and fun game for me, but an overpaid one.

It reminds me of those 32-bit days where folks were trying all kinds of different designs and control schemes for 3D games. Compared to today's standards, Rodea seems downright backwards, yet keeps being fun too. Its flying mechanic is not so much a traversal thing, than it is a score mechanic. Moving from enemy to enemy, one set of Gravitons ('rings') to the next, keeping these actions chained together as long as possible is more important than using flight as a means to get from A to B. The emphasis on scoring, chaining, etc. is made all the more apparent by a flight meter that is filled by doing all this stuff and depleted by flying around aimlessly. It's pretty fun when it's all working as intended - getting high scores feels similar to doing well in an arcade game on one quarter.

The biggest problem I've noticed is the 3DS port/redesign seemed to assume this arcadeyness wasn't enough, and retooled some stages to be more platformy or adventure-based, without changing the core flight mechanics. So any time you're tasked with finding things, or get curious and try to find all the hidden extras (and there are a lot!), the design falls apart real fast. When focused on scoring, Rodea's controls are unconventional, but fun. When trying to move from one narrow platform to the next, making sure to land between each to fill your flight meter, it's a clunky and frustrating thing.

So...I'd say if you kinda miss those days of Megaman Legends, NiGHTS, or Tail Concerto, this might be a worthwhile go at $20? Otherwise you're not missing out on a whole lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    So...I'd say if you kinda miss those days of Megaman Legends, NiGHTS, or Tail Concerto, this might be a worthwhile go at $20? Otherwise you're not missing out on a whole lot.
    Thanks for saving me some money!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post

So...I'd say if you kinda miss those days of Megaman Legends, NiGHTS, or Tail Concerto, this might be a worthwhile go at $20? Otherwise you're an unfeeling monster.

Attached Images Attached Images