Page 29 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1525272829303133 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Rogue One (2016)

1. People are still worrying about that fight?

It might be unreasonable that she tapped into the force so quickly and easily.

What was totally plausible and actually established in the story is that Rey could potentially best not only Finn but Kylo Ren in a melee battle.

People are products of their environments. She had to fight and survive, alone, everyday in her environment.

Kylo Ren probably sat at church summer camp for most of his life. Luke probably never showed him a lightsaber so we can probably expect that he has no training using it as a jedi weapon. It's still an effective weapon.

It seems like we've had this conversation before...
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

2. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    His son being an annoying Sith leeader of the First Order (play on New Order?) wasn't all that great either. Kylo Ren getting his ass handed to him by an un-trained Jedi was rather weak as well. I think that the whole story for TFA was pretty poorly conceived.
    All of this made sense to me from the point of view of a megalomaniac with an inferiority complex living in the shadow of the greatest Jedi of all-time. His petulance makes his character interesting and truly heelish IMO. The entire movie was clearly designed to peel away the mask of Ren and show his inferiority (from his initial intro catching a laser blast like a badass, to the tantrums, and his cowardly betrayal). I don't know why he betrayed his family, but power does that I guess. His actions fit the persona of the character they produced IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    Fair. I recall asking last time everyone was talking about Ren "okay so what's a better villain" and no one had any idea other than the vague notion of some cool Jedi bad guy. Every Star Wars movie has showcased more evil Jedi, with more lightsabers, more force trickery, more jedi killing than ever before. General Grievous was a ludicrous Jedi killing lightsaber merry go round IMO—no thanks. This well is dry IMO. I like the fact that they wrote the new villain in to this weird inferiority space and built that out. It was one of the truly unique parts of TFA.

Anyway as far as Rogue One is concerned I think the movie was pretty good. Some of the effects and the gimmick of being on the ground during a death-star attack and the planet gate stuff was tops. A lot of the ground-level war stuff was also really really cool. I just didn't like the climax or progression of the two main characters at all. But they're dead so good riddance. I think TFA for some of its criticisms was a much better movie.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 29 Dec 2016 at 12:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    To be fair he did have a GIANT BLASTER HOLE in his side.
    Why didn't he just use the force and choke the shit out of her? Or did she figure out on her own how to block that coupled with zero light sabre training? It's a gaping hole. A chasm, in fact.

4. Kylo started off amazing and got progressively worse until he got pussy whipped.

5. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    People are still worrying about that fight?

It might be unreasonable that she tapped into the force so quickly and easily.

What was totally plausible and actually established in the story is that Rey could potentially best not only Finn but Kylo Ren in a melee battle.

People are products of their environments. She had to fight and survive, alone, everyday in her environment.

Kylo Ren probably sat at church summer camp for most of his life. Luke probably never showed him a lightsaber so we can probably expect that he has no training using it as a jedi weapon. It's still an effective weapon.

Only brought it up because aspects of Rogue One were criticized for being implausible and ignored for TFA.

Personally, I find it far more likely that the student trained by a Jedi would likely be the superior melee fighter, not the one scavenging parts for food. Especially if you take training of using the force into consideration - this was handled (and emphasized) in depth in the original and subsequent trilogies - that you NEED to be trained. I didn't like, at all, how quickly she evolved into what took others (Luke, Darth, etc...) months/years to master.

6. TFA spoilers follow obvs

Wait...weren't Rey and Ren trained together at some point? Doesn't Rey's expository Maz Kanata flashback hint at some of this? I thought Rey had some sort of prior Jedi training and that the two of them were trained together. My memory of this whole part of the film is really poor because I think I left for the bathroom right before the flashback.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

7. Rey is the space jesus that everyone thought Anakin was supposed to be.

No wait, that can't be because if it were true then the story ends with her and Disney needs to milk this shit forEVER.

8. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    TFA spoilers follow obvs

Wait...weren't Rey and Ren trained together at some point? Doesn't Rey's expository Maz Kanata flashback hint at some of this? I thought Rey had some sort of prior Jedi training and that the two of them were trained together. My memory of this whole part of the film is really poor because I think I left for the bathroom right before the flashback.
    Speculation (flashback) - but I guess we can speculate that she's related to Luke or Obi-Wan in some fashion and maybe there was *some* training, but she was dropped on Jakku at, what, 5 year old? What kind of training can you give a 3-5 year old as it relates to mind shenanigans and light sabres? If that's the case, it's a weak explanation.

9. Saw it again tonight. I don't know if it's because she just died but Leia didn't look as out of place this time. Plus she was only on screen for a second. I never really had a problem with Tarkin, and that stayed that way.

I think the problem people have with Vaders neck (I was looking for it this time) is because his cape isn't hanging over it this time. Plus there was a light source bouncing off of it in many of the scenes.

10. Leia looked awful imo. Like some of the worst work in the entire series. Vaders neck looked fat but wasn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    Why didn't he just use the force and choke the shit out of her? Or did she figure out on her own how to block that coupled with zero light sabre training? It's a gaping hole. A chasm, in fact.
    I don't think Ren had nearly as much training as you think he had. Especially considering only Luke was left to train and he'd been home for a long time. These are talented kids w gifts that aren't nurtured. As soon as he was met with any force opposition he didn't know what to do. I don't think it's chance this is also the scene he removed his helmet and we saw the real him in his nerdy glory either.

Rey herself is shown to be very adept at hand to hand on Jakku handily beating thugs trying to steal BB and besting Finn. That's all the exposition I needed along w the light sabre mind fuck flashback.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 30 Dec 2016 at 12:26 AM.