Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 717192021222325 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Episode VIII (2017)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I think he’s gone for good. Especially after all the shit talking he did before TLJ was released.
    For the billionth time, Mark Hamill does not hate TLJ or Rian Johnson or "the new Luke". He never did. Hamill expressed reservations about the script when he first saw it but was reassured when working with Johnson, as Hamill himself has said repeatedly.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. Drew (now going full fedora, I see) complaining about women characters putting men in their place and Luke not being permitted to defeat Rey in the same post he complains about Phasma getting owned too easily is pretty great.

This movie was a perfectly fine laser in space movie. Twenty minutes of Return of the Jedi is Home Alone with tiny bears. TLJ is at least on par with that.

Luke's fallibility and moment of weakness was entirely in keeping with his character. Might have been my favorite thing about the movie. Recall this guy chopped his dad's arm off trying to murder him a few scenes after telling him he sensed good in him.

Snoke really was stupid, though.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 27 Dec 2017 at 11:51 AM.

3. Yeah I like it when characters have substance. Even the female ones like Phasma. Imagine that.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 27 Dec 2017 at 12:20 PM.

4. Just saw this with my daughter. We liked it a lot, but I have a feeling this one might go the route of Rogue One. I like R1 a lot too immediately after I watched it, but couldn't even make it all the way through the second time and consider it a complete shit show.

5. Forest Whitaker doesn't do shit in that movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Drew (now going full fedora, I see) complaining about women characters putting men in their place and Luke not being permitted to defeat Rey in the same post he complains about Phasma getting owned too easily is pretty great.

This movie was a perfectly fine laser in space movie. Twenty minutes of Return of the Jedi is Home Alone with tiny bears. TLJ is at least on par with that.

Luke's fallibility and moment of weakness was entirely in keeping with his character. Might have been my favorite thing about the movie. Recall this guy chopped his dad's arm off trying to murder him a few scenes after telling him he sensed good in him.

Snoke really was stupid, though.
    When i saw the movie it looked like luke was cleanly beating ray. He was effortlessly avoiding swings, even disarmed her by hand. It seemed fine and within the plot. The murder in cold blood and the degree at which he gave up seem at odds with the character from the original trilogy, but i think the overall direction they took him in was necessary for the movie. I do recall being a bit taken out of the scene when i saw him about to murder his nephew, I actually quickly took the character much like Hammil says he played him, as Jake Skywalker and the movie ran great.

Did the Disney level humor not bother you at all ARBM? It was quite jarring for me. I'm not sure we even needed the monaco planet at all?
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

7. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Forest Whitaker doesn't do shit in that movie.
    Seriously. That is not even the worst of it.

Here let's link movies to games because game forum http://tennapel.com/the-force-awaken...fleetwood-mac/
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

9. Thought about it some more:

Stuff I like:
    -Luke's explanation of the Force, well Mark Hamill's acting in general
    -Yoda
    -Benicio Del Toro
    -Kylo Ren become a badass
    -Suicide hyperspace jump
    -Daisy Ridley close-up
    -The Red Guards
    -If I start a band, I would call it "Chewie and the Porgs"

Stuff I didn't like:
    -Luke acting all emo
    -Rey's training by Luke - this is a joke right?
    -Leia became Superman, actually didn't much care for Leia at all
    -Margaret Cho
    -Everything about Poe except the beginning
    -Everything about Snoke - he is so powerful that he can plant thoughts into Kylo's mind but can't see his treachery and continue to belittle him?
    -General Hux
    -Monaco and that fucking Irish Gnome

Disney is telling everyone that Star Wars is getting rebooted with this movie because the next one can't be their last. I am curious to see where they position this franchise after episode 9 because you can only retell the whole rebellion against empire thing so many times. I wish they had the balls to start this process by having Rey joined Kylo. That would have made 9 and beyond way more interesting.

10. I like that Rogue One planted seeds for the hyperspace tracking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!