Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 313151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Episode VIII (2017)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    Are the other Porgs thinking it smells good and want a taste? Or do they know and are they judging Chewie for eating them?
    They are food shaming him.

Kylo becoming his own man was the best thing that could have happened to the character, which had potential despite being an emo bitch last movie. Not being able to shoot Leia only to have his wingmen take the shot was awesome.
    Yup. Great choice, and I love that they did it the way I would have - even if they couldn't commit to the end result and that result was lame.

The stuff with Poe was just dumb.
    Are you referring to how all of his ideas didn't work out? I liked that a lot, it really cemented him as a cowboy in my mind.

Yoda ... seemed like he was pretty high on weed.
    Midichlorians, Duke!

Yes, yes, midichlorians!

Women's locker rooms, Duke!

2. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    T

Are you referring to how all of his ideas didn't work out? I liked that a lot, it really cemented him as a cowboy in my mind.
    No, that part I liked. The whole hotshot pilot thing who doesn't respect the chain of command and demands to know what the Admiral's plan is and then staging a mutiny etc because he doesn't like that she's not telling him the plan. It was all stupid. And the ramifications should have been more heavily pointed out. That he got every one of those people killed. Just because he learns a valuable lesson about command authority blah blah blah and decides not to waste his whole attacking force (after 4/5's of it are already dead anyway) at the end is not worth the build up they tried to put into it.

3. Saw it yesterday. I initially came out of the theater liking it, but after chewing on it all night, I've determined it was a turd. The worst Star Wars since Attack of the Clones.

I will say this though, that throne room fight with Rey and Kylo was fucking amazing. Hands down the best scene in the entirety of Star Wars. Which is why I felt so disappointed by the rest of it. So many wasted opportunities. Kylo really needed to redeem himself and return to the light, and Rey needed to be tempted by the dark. Luke was shocked that she went "straight for the dark". Seeing Rey really struggle with her light and dark would have been much more interesting. Not getting any character development on Snoke was infuriating. We needed to see why he was so bad ass, how he came to power after the Empire was defeated in RTJ, how he corrupted Kylo, etc.

And some of the humor was just too fucking much. A mom joke in the first 5 minutes of the movie? Come on. Luke wiping the dirt off his shoulders was dumb as shit too.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    No, that part I liked. The whole hotshot pilot thing who doesn't respect the chain of command and demands to know what the Admiral's plan is and then staging a mutiny etc because he doesn't like that she's not telling him the plan. It was all stupid. And the ramifications should have been more heavily pointed out. That he got every one of those people killed. Just because he learns a valuable lesson about command authority blah blah blah and decides not to waste his whole attacking force (after 4/5's of it are already dead anyway) at the end is not worth the build up they tried to put into it.
    I think everyone just wants to bone Poe? Right after Leia chastises him for getting everyone killed, they go in a state of emergency and she's like "aww, I can't say no to you, sweetie, go shoot some stuff." That purple angel does the same stuff after he straight up takes her prisoner.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

5. Ya I could accept that argument. Still fucking stupid though.

Saw it. Thought it was pretty boring.

There's not much else to really say about it I think.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Not getting any character development on Snoke was infuriating. We needed to see why he was so bad ass, how he came to power after the Empire was defeated in RTJ, how he corrupted Kylo, etc.
    I love how different tastes can be - this was like my most favorite thing in the whole movie, along with Rey's parentage not mattering. My buddies who hated the movie couldn't answer this for me, but I'm genuinely interested - why do you need to see those things in this movie, or even at all? Why can't they be alluded to?

Kylo really needed to redeem himself and return to the light
    And this was my second-favorite thing. He's not necessarily truly evil or anything, he's just kind of a power-hungry jerk. That's beautiful to me.

9. I think the movie lacks a level of gravitas to make me care about the characters and situation. Things like Snoke being killed off so quickly just drives home that fact that there was no real threat or danger. You get no good build up to the conflict, you just have a guy you've seen make angry faces in one scene and then he's gone.
    I felt the same with the Luke/Kylo backstory. Like there was supposed to be some big beef between the two, but you get the story, the "truth", the "real truth" all in quick succession and it's really nothing more than one encounter that lasts a few seconds to the audience.
    You don't really have any feeling for the relationship between the two characters, no idea if Luke loved Kylo, no idea of how Kylo looked up to him. You just get "Kylo was strong and kinda bad, so we fought." There could have been some real interaction between the two besides what was shown.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    I think the movie lacks a level of gravitas
    There are more Muppets than people in this series.