Page 51 of 223 FirstFirst ... 374749505152535565 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch / Nintendo Switch Lite (Official Thread)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    It matters to me! But that's because I'm tired of dealing with scratched up discs. It will matter to publishers unless their cart format is as cheap to manufacture as a blu ray, which is doubtful.
    But as a person that wants to play games, yeah, storage media doesn't matter unless you want everything to be digital. Which when it's Nintendo you're dealing with, you probably shouldn't.
    16 gig and 32 gig flash media is probably getting close to Bluray media production costs but still higher than it. It'd be interesting if they went with flash media, they could theoretically release one SKU that could theoretically work on the handheld and Console. Where there's just a hook so the game knows oh I'm in the handheld use these res textures/models sort of thing.

It's certainly an interesting rumor.

Third parties would probably hate it. Though they shouldn't they're hitting 2 platforms for the cost of one then.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Where there's just a hook so the game knows oh I'm in the handheld use these res textures/models sort of thing.
    That's a neat idea but it would just end up with LCD assets and basically be a Gameboy Player.

3. How is that supposed to work

4. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    That's a neat idea but it would just end up with LCD assets and basically be a Gameboy Player.
    Why? In game dev today you make everything super high res and then cut down for the target platform. Hell some engines do on the fly scaling of textures to lower resolutions. It'd basically work like a PC game with Low and High settings. There's absolutely no reason for it to be developed for LCD or be a gameboy player.

This isn't anything difficult, or new.

*Edit*

Plus that's the whole point of the NX and Nintendo going with the whole shared architecture thing. To produce titles that can move to being a hand held or a console title at any point. That by just changing the LoD they can make a title a handheld one. I'm sure there would be titles that are still hand held focus and titles that are console focus, but there is no reason they're all going to be LCD assets and the console be a game boy player.
    Last edited by Shin Johnpv; 23 Jun 2016 at 07:39 PM.
    Where I play
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. Yea but you can't just hit a 'port' button

6. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Why? In game dev today you make everything super high res and then cut down for the target platform. Hell some engines do on the fly scaling of textures to lower resolutions. It'd basically work like a PC game with Low and High settings. There's absolutely no reason for it to be developed for LCD or be a gameboy player.

This isn't anything difficult, or new.

*Edit*

Plus that's the whole point of the NX and Nintendo going with the whole shared architecture thing. To produce titles that can move to being a hand held or a console title at any point. That by just changing the LoD they can make a title a handheld one. I'm sure there would be titles that are still hand held focus and titles that are console focus, but there is no reason they're all going to be LCD assets and the console be a game boy player.
    Dude we have no idea what the NX is.

7. NO WE HAVE TO SPECULATE ABOUT IT SOME MORE

8. what if the games are on wafers and you can eat and they're assorted flavors and the best tasting thing in the world but you have to buy them again if you eat them
    Donk

32GB flesh of Christ

10. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Yea but you can't just hit a 'port' button
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Dude we have no idea what the NX is.

Iwata before his death told us some things about NX. The biggest of which was the goal of it being a unified platform. He talked about having one development environment for both the handheld and console. Because of the way development works at Nintendo they wanted to make it easier to bring games to either or both, and be able to decide much later in development if it was going to be a handheld or console title. He even originally stated how NX wasn't the code name for particular hardware but how it was their next development environment. The point was to not have handheld teams and console teams any more, and just teams. Allowing them to hopefully avoid software draughts.

With the right chips, and development environment you wouldn't need to "port" software. Much like on PC you can run a game on a large range of CPUs and an even larger range of GPUs.
    Where I play