Page 10 of 223 FirstFirst ... 6891011121424 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch / Nintendo Switch Lite (Official Thread)

1. Nintendo NX and Membership Service (Names not Final)

I guess they could sell two different pieces of hardware that run the same games to keep costs down, but I think that would mean the console hardware will be weaker.

iPhone, iPad, and now Apple TV all have similar hardware but it's certainly not specced to console hardware. If the handheld uses a weaker version that runs the same games, that's an interesting idea but there's still a huge gulf between mobile hardware and APUs. You couldn't put a X1 APU in a handheld system and go play Forza 6 on the go.

2. With game development you always create your assets at a higher spec than your final product. So if in the final game you're using models with 2k texture maps and 20k polys you're probably making it at like 4k and millions of polys. So scaling the assets down even further isn't that hard of a thing to do. I mean shit where I'm at now we kind of had to do something like that. The hardware specs of a project we were on dropped drastically 3/4 of the way through development. An adjustment to texture res, some key reduction, and pulling a shit ton of polys out of the models got it running. If you're code base is the same, and you're using chips from the same family just different "power" levels making a game that runs on both is going to be really easy. The 4DS version ships with assets at one level of detail, while having the engine shoot for say 720p and 30fps, and the Super Nintendo 2 version ships with assets at a higher level of detail and the engine shooting for 1080p and 60fps. You also might lower the level of accuracy on your shaders, maybe the number of NPCs gets set lower, etc. Its a lot easier than say porting which is what needs to be done now. This is literally saying use assets B or A, and changing "settings" in your engine.

The gulf isn't as big as it once was between console and mobile chips. Granted its not small either, but you have the Adreno 530 set to come out in a few months that will have more GFlops than the Wii U and about 1/3 ish the flops of the PS4 GPU, and like almost half that of the X1.

Granted its been the 2D titles but, I can play something like Guacamelee or Dragons Crown on my PS4/3, and upload the save to the cloud and continue it on my Vita. So this kind of thing isn't unheard of and I think if the Vita and PS4 had similar architecture you'd see more of it.

I don't think people realize that most studios are developing assets at way higher levels of detail then what the final product is going to be.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. It's 2015 and I don't think Nintendo has a grasp on creating "assets at a higher spec than your final product." Do you remember the shit they said about making the Wii U Zelda game? First they talk like no one knows what an open world game is more than 12 years after GTA 3 was released and then it's delayed and they're going, "Hey, it turns out making this kind of game takes awhile! Holy shit, why didn't anyone tip us off about how much quality art assets we'd need!?" They are so far behind it's ridiculous (making people use Metroid save codes to share Mario Maker levels is batshit crazy stupid.) Going low right from the start for the past decade has caused some serious arrested development.

Anyway, there's no way they are going to sell it all as one unit. I'm sure they're going to get this out as the successor to the U and the 3DS pretty much at the same time but sold separately. Buying the NX version of the game will also include the portable version and vise vera. The whole goal will be to get content out for both in a reasonable amount of time by the same team with minimal cost as possible.
    Last edited by Rumpy; 16 Oct 2015 at 04:18 PM.

4. I bet it'll be the thing that does the thing
    Donk

5. I bet it'll be the thing that does the thing that some people bitch about incessantly while other people give excessive levels of praise.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

6. i bet your right and i bet i'll get mad about the internet over it either way!
    Donk

7. So are the specs out yet for Nintendo's final system?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    i bet your right and i bet i'll get mad about the internet over it either way!
    I'll bet his left.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    So are the specs out yet for Nintendo's final system?
    4.5 Wii's taped together

10. Yeah, Wii U Gamepad is butt. It's massive and the screen is crap compared to smartphones nowadays... not just in resolution and display quality, but the touch sensitive nature. Seems to me like the ONLY thing it's good for is Mario Maker stuff with stylus support. The thing I hate most about it is that the Wii U only supports one of them, so only one person gets to use it... which makes the best use cases for it stuff like that Luigi hide n' seek game. Sigh.

I think what I hate most about Wii U, though, is how slow, confusing, and clunky its menu system is. Like why is what I see on the Gamepad totally different from what everyone else sees on the screen? Programs take ages to load, there's always system updates getting in your way, and the store interface is awful. Fuck this pagination stuff! And bringing over apps and Miis from the original Wii? I tried. For hours. Still couldn't get it to work.

It just feels miles behind Android, or Steam, or iOS, or Xbox.

I'm very curious about this NX thing as it seems like Nintendo is hitting the reset button (again), but I really hope they get their hardware AND software figured out this time.