Page 9 of 223 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch / Nintendo Switch Lite (Official Thread)

As a gamer, they couldn't make hardware on which I would play multiplatform games. Neither can Sony or Microsoft. However, I view this as an opportunity for a viable iOS / Apple TV combination with full software support and mandatory physical controls. That would give it the inside track to being my third pillar beside PC and arcade games.

As a shareholder, I like that they can consolidate development and that it reportedly will use "industry-leading chips." You can interpret that last part in a lot of different ways, but my phone is about as powerful as a Wii U, so it can't really be a bad thing, whether they're talking PC or mobile chips. Despite swift sales, the PS4 and One have drawn a lot of complaints from actual gamers as a disappointing generation thus far. With dev kits already going out, we're likely to see the NX at or before E3, which gets Nintendo in the game with at least half the console generation left and against only mobile competition in the portable space. The recent Apple TV announcement was disappointing to me, because it didn't go far enough. I really thought we'd have an iOS and/or Android device doing what the NX seems poised to do before its launch, but we don't. That's a big opportunity for Nintendo in their sweet spot, and when you combine it with the consolidated development, a steady stream of games seems very likely. Both the 3DS and Wii U individually suffered droughts, but if you were to combine their release schedules, it's rock solid, my personal interest in some of the games not withstanding.

2. Nintendo has stated that it's goal with the NX platform is to be able to develop and decide if its handheld or console as development moves along. They've talked about it being one platform from a programming stance, but that doesn't mean the games have to be programmed for the lowest common denominator. It means scaling and level of detail adjustments. Its like how on PC you can play Crysis on some weak ass hardware and it'll run and look one way and on a higher end rig it'll run and look much better. This makes the most sense. It also makes a lot of sense from a development stand point, most game assets today are developed in really high resolutions and then scaled down to what the game can handle. It would be no different than that. IMHO what I think you're going to see is the handheld and console running chips from the same family line. Like the difference between a 4th gen dual core i3 and a 4th gen quad core i7. Same family running the same code but huge power difference. Then you could even put the same game on both platforms for insignificant costs. The console uses the high res assets and the handheld uses the low res ones.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

Assuming that's true, we're arguably already seeing similar development, like 3D only working on the "new" platforms for the Zelda Musou game but the game itself still running on the base models.

4. Are they using Apple's chips? Because those are by far the best in mobile.

You can't have power and battery life. If the handheld part is a separate system that clips onto the console part for some extra juice then that is a very complex and expensive thing. If they make the console part powerful by using a AMD SOC like PS4, well obviously a handheld can't handle that.

5. There's no confirmation about what chip or any kind of specs yet. There's a lot of rumors going around, with quite a few point to an ARM chip as the CPU. Apple uses ARM don't they? It's assumed they're going to go AMD, and I can't remember if AMD said they were working on/able to do/going to be making APU's with an ARM CPU and one of their GPUs. I don't think that's a far fetched idea, though I would hope for the console they go x86. I'm going to assume/guess that both the handheld and console will run some kind of AMD APU. Even if the console does run with an ARM CPU I don't think that'll be a huge hindrance considering the CPUs in the PS4 and XB1 are glorified netbook CPUs.

I do think the big thing is going to be GPU and Ram. I really think you're going to see something like the hand held running the same GPU just with way less transistors. If the console say has 2816 ALUs and 64 ROPS with 176 TMUs running at 1GHz (obviously those numbers won't happen but just reference) the handheld will be the same chip family but with 320 ALUs, 8 ROPS, and 16 TMUs running at 600MHz (this I think is possible for the handheld). That is just my guess.

I really do think if they come together in the same box, its going to be a handheld and a console each with their own hardware that you use the handheld to control the console. I hope, really hope they run what ever the latest GPU chip family is from AMD. I don't think having weak console hardware for a 3rd generation is going to be a good thing for them. I really think they need to put out something competitive.
    Where I play
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    I can't remember if AMD said they were working on/able to do/going to be making APU's with an ARM CPU and one of their GPUs.
    Yep. Google the K12.

7. There you go, though its not supposed to be out till 2017, the plans are there though for AMD to make ARM based APUs. I would NOT be surprised for one of the NX platforms to feature an ARM based AMD APU.
    Where I play

8. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post

I really do think if they come together in the same box, its going to be a handheld and a console each with their own hardware that you use the handheld to control the console. I hope, really hope they run what ever the latest GPU chip family is from AMD. I don't think having weak console hardware for a 3rd generation is going to be a good thing for them. I really think they need to put out something competitive.
    Yea but that's gonna be really expensive. Two consoles in one box? Is Nintendo going to charge $500 for it?

9. Nintendo got to where it is (billions in the bank) by releasing cheap hardware with games that were good despite it.
    I don't think that's going to change now.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Yea but that's gonna be really expensive. Two consoles in one box? Is Nintendo going to charge $500 for it?
    Maybe or there's the possibility that the people that gave the WSJ info for the article have mixed up information. Nintendo's idea with their whole NX platform is to have something like Windows, where all your code is the same regardless of which system you're targeting, and then you adjust your assets based on that. I mean Iwata basically said exactly that.

Last year we also started a project to integrate the architecture for our future platforms. What we mean by integrating platforms is not integrating handhelds devices and home consoles to make only one machine. What we are aiming at is to integrate the architecture to form a common basis for software development so that we can make software assets more transferable, and operating systems and their build-in applications more portable, regardless of form factor or performance of each platform. They will also work to avoid software lineup shortages or software development delays which tend to happen just after the launch of new hardware.
    Some time ago it was technologically impossible to have the same architecture for handheld devices and home consoles and what we did was therefore reasonable. Although it has not been long since we began to integrate the architecture and this will have no short-term result, we believe that it will provide a great benefit to our platform business in the long run.
    I could see though, how developers just getting their software kits (which don't include any actual hardware yet) are reading through it and seeing mention of use this asset for handheld and this asset for console sort of thing that could confuse people. Supposedly on the development website there's images and mention of tablet and phone stuff. So I do think its possible that the people just getting their software kits have the info a bit wrong.

I really do think its going to be 2 sold separately pieces of hardware running familiar enough chips to make it so that 1 code base works on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Nintendo got to where it is (billions in the bank) by releasing cheap hardware with games that were good despite it.
    I don't think that's going to change now.
    You can do that and be competitive. The PS4/XB1 aren't insane level pieces of tech and releasing something high spec then them in 2016/7 isn't going to be difficult. With the Wii U they had to cut the hardware specs because of the cost of the gamepad, and I think it hurt them. The gamepad didn't attract people like they thought it would, and not being close enough in specs to the PS4/XB1 cost them more 3rd party support. I'm not saying they need to, or should go balls to the wall with the NX home console, but it needs to be competitive. It can't be another Wii or Wii U situation.
    Last edited by Shin Johnpv; 16 Oct 2015 at 02:25 PM.
    Where I play