Page 5 of 223 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch / Nintendo Switch Lite (Official Thread)

1. This reeks of some kind of unified standard for handheld and console to me. Which makes a lot of sense for a company like Nintendo. I don't know if Android is really a great choice in terms of maximizing already limited hardware, but that situation is probably getting better soon.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Is it also different than saying over and over that you're not making mobile games until you are? I don't think Iwata has a lot of autonomy anymore, which limits the value of anything he says.
    Ok Yoshi you continue to believe they're making a hybrid system. Also lets wait to see what these "mobile games" they're making with DeNA are before acting like its a big deal.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

I will continue to think it's plausible, which is the only claim I made with respect to Nintendo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer
    UPDATE 2/6/15 3.00pm: Nintendo has discounted yesterday's Nikkei report that the company is considering an Android-based operating system for its upcoming NX console.

“There is no truth to the report saying that we are planning to adopt Android for NX,” a Nintendo spokesman told the Wall St Journal.

It may be that Nintendo had only considered the option briefly and has now discounted it. Regardless, it looks like Google's OS will be kept separate from the NX for good.
    Maybe they've moved on to iOS, like John so desperately wanted.

5. Even if they used Android it's not like you'll be downloading Google Play and shit.

I don't think Android is appropriate for a modern video game OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Even if they used Android it's not like you'll be downloading Google Play and shit.

I don't think Android is appropriate for a modern video game OS.
    I think the amount and type of customization you're talking about in your first point would help determine your second, but it's all moot now.

7. But what's the point if you can just use Linux or FreeBSD or something else that is better suited.

Allegedly it was for ease of porting, but that makes less sense with mobile stuff than it would with the X64 approach of the One and PS4.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I think the amount and type of customization you're talking about in your first point would help determine your second, but it's all moot now.
    It's just too java-based IMO, no matter how much you customize it. The low OS overhead is part of how consoles make up for relatively weak specs. I think once Vulkan or some equivalent API (like what Apple did with Metal) is integrated, it might be worth considering but even still, they'd probably be better off with something that leveraged a unified hardware set rather than something as general purpose as Android.

10. So Nintendo's dead too now.