Page 106 of 223 FirstFirst ... 92102104105106107108110120 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 2224

Thread: Nintendo Switch / Nintendo Switch Lite (Official Thread)

1. It's been confirmed that the monthly free nes/snes game you get with the online sub is only playable during the free month

Nintendo is the worst
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    This.
    Why does it have to launch in March? Why not hold out and release in Fall with more games?
    I'm guessing by the way pre-orders are going, it's launching in March to make this fiscal year look strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Pretty much this.

And fwiw, I don't think the pricing is LOL or whatever. Each JoyCon is a mini Wiimote, so $80 for 2 makes sense. A pro controller is only $10 more than what MS/Sony sell for and people don't complain. $299 for what's effectively a home console you can also take anywhere (and $90 of that price is for the dock?) isn't offensive.

But after that event, I feel like people are quick to hate because a) it's Nintendo, so why not and b) without a promising lineup of games, or more than ports of 2+ year-old third party titles as 'support', the price gets harder to justify.
    Yes, the pro controller is $10 more and has nothing that justifies it being $10 more

Also lol at the dock being $90 of the cost. Nintendo may want to sell extras at that price but that doesn't mean a hunk of plastic and an hdmi out are actually worth $90.

The pricing on this shit is Apple tax levels of crap, don't even try to justify it
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. I'm not trying to justify it, just point out that it's not as steep an increase to what's already considered normal.

The dock at $90 is ridiculous, if it's just a charging station + hdmi out. I wonder if they ever try to sell a $200, no-dock 'portable' version of this?

It was pointed out earlier, but at this cost, buying a second Switch makes almost more sense than a second set of controllers & dock on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post

And fwiw, I don't think the pricing is LOL or whatever. Each JoyCon is a mini Wiimote, so $80 for 2 makes sense.
    I'm with you on this point. Depending on the media capabilities of the tablet $300 isn't out of this world pricing in that world. But comparing it in the console space where far more powerful hardware could be had for $50 cheaper with a real game included, then that $300 does seem lol worthy.

A pro controller is only $10 more than what MS/Sony sell for and people don't complain.
    The fuck they don't. $70 is asinine.

$299 for what's effectively a home console you can also take anywhere (and $90 of that price is for the dock?) isn't offensive.
    The fuck it isn't. If what's been reported is true and all the dock does is pass through signal and power and hold the machine, then $90 is completely asinine.

But after that event, I feel like people are quick to hate because a) it's Nintendo, so why not and b) without a promising lineup of games, or more than ports of 2+ year-old third party titles as 'support', the price gets harder to justify.
    People are quick to hate because Nintendo is trying to flex like they're Apple or something, and they're really not. They seem to want to capture the casual market again. They aren't going to do that by being more expensive than the other guys on hardware and repackaging old ass software. No matter how "deep" the gameplay on Arms gets, it still looks like a goofier version of a mini game that was packed in with other mini games for free with the last Intendo machine anybody bought.

6. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    It's been confirmed that the monthly free nes/snes game you get with the online sub is only playable during the free month

Nintendo is the worst
    I can't hate on this too much. My PS3 and Vita are full of free* games I've never played and probably never will. Knowing that I only have a month to play whatever Snes/Nes rom throws at me may encourage me to actually play it. But probably not because if I really want to play whatever Snes/Nes rom I want, I probably can already on a dozen other devices in my house.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I can't hate on this too much. My PS3 and Vita are full of free* games I've never played and probably never will. Knowing that I only have a month to play whatever Snes/Nes rom throws at me may encourage me to actually play it. But probably not because if I really want to play whatever Snes/Nes rom I want, I probably can already on a dozen other devices in my house.
    I've played a lot of the free psn and Xbox games but it's often much later when I get the time to compared to when it was offered. I'm actually playing murdered soul suspect that I got from live now.

8. Switch hardware rev. 1 phase 1 is a Nintendo Whale hunt. They'll have time to work on the online, grow the library, etc. for the price cuts/"true" portable.

Maybe a console only version for the west that is the cheapest SKU?

Complete lack of initial momentum by launching overpriced with few games is probably less of an issue if you're not expecting western third party support in the first place. If it's not there you can't fear losing it.

Only way left to go is up! Walk on a staircase of nintendo fan bones to get there! I'll give you some money when you make it to the ground floor.

9. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    I've played a lot of the free psn and Xbox games but it's often much later when I get the time to compared to when it was offered. I'm actually playing murdered soul suspect that I got from live now.
    Ok, but that is a (sort) of recent retail game. These are 30 year old roms that most of us probably have played a gazillion times and again, can be played on your toaster.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Low View Post
    Totally correct except no one will buy it. The Wii was a attractive $200 with pack-in, virtually built as a alternative to the 360 and PS3.
    Wii was $250 at launch. Yet another point where expecting $250 or less for a system with much greater relative component costs was totally illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I totally understand why they're going this route. If it's a console, then games are $50-$60, they're of a size and scope comparable to how we normally understand console games, and the system can cost $300. Nintendo needs that. As a handheld, it's overpriced and so are the games, but as a console, it's something novel, despite being underpowered.

So I get the framing. None of that changes the fact that this is a premium handheld, and I'm sure that's how a lot of gamers will treat it. But I think framing it as a console was vital to it being Nintendo's premier platform and not another Vita.

There's also a bit of pride to it. Nintendo (and their fans) want them to consolidate their efforts, but they don't want to be seen a "leaving the console market." It's a way to have their cake and eat it too.
    I don't know. 3DS XLs seemed to sell just fine at $200 this holiday, and I'd consider that pretty damn premium considering what it's packing. I don't think a premium handheld that offers a console experience (literally in this case, if you so desire) is inherently a losing battle if you've got the games to back it up. The Vita was stillborn because it didn't, every big production was clearly a lesser version of the actual console versions. The likelihood of successfully marketing a system with Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty spin-offs by B teams versus marketing one with mainline Marios, Pokemon, and Zeldas by the A-teams is night and day, to me.

They can certainly heavily accentuate its console functionality, that's a big selling point too, but its function as a handheld felt like it was pushed aside almost entirely at the conference. The goal of this thing isn't to just take over their home sales, it's to take over both home and handheld. Trying to distance from the portable aspect seems like a bad way to achieve that, especially considering portables are what butters their bread.

With regards to game pricing, they can do varying tiers depending on the project. I don't think anyone would have any trouble with paying $60 for the mainline franchises I mentioned even if the intent was to just play them as portable titles, so long as the difference in production scope relative to previous handheld titles was evident. Then you've got titles like 1-2-Switch and Arms which could almost only possibly work with lower prices, they could slot in to the $30-40 handheld game prices, if they try to launch that junk at $60 they'll get their shit pushed in. Nintendo's already done this tiered pricing structure with games like Captain Toad and Game & Wario (and Splatoon, in other markets), so it's not even anything new. They're not duty-bound to only launch games at $60.

(Speaking of novel, ports of popular multiplayer stuff like Overwatch or Rocket League that could be played on the go would have been super-novel, and those games in particular already scale well to lesser hardware. Big missed opportunity there, IMO.)
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 13 Jan 2017 at 03:26 PM.