Page 1 of 29 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing? (Spring, 2015)

What Are You Playing? (Spring, 2015)

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC) - I'm struggling to push through this one. I think it's a combination of maybe the first being enough for me (though I didn't think so at the time) and the forced ranged combat on seemingly too many levels. I'm not sure if it's harder than the first game or if it's just forcing a play style that I am less comfortable with.

Ori and the Blind Forest (PC) - This is this weekend's main event, and I'm really looking forward to getting back to it after the initial hour on launch day.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (PC) - I wrapped up the main campaign last night, but there are two bonus episodes that I am hoping fill in the story of what happened to the supporting characters while they were "off camera." I'm planning to knock at least one of them out today.

<Beastie Boys>Four days 'til Bloodborne...</Beastie Boys>
    Last edited by Yoshi; 18 Jul 2015 at 10:57 AM.

2. Finally playing all the way through The Walking Dead Season 1. I played Episode 1 way back, but now I'm going through the whole series with my girlfriend and I'm up to episode 4.

Also finally digging into Tales of Xillia. I've fallen way off with the Tales series, but I want to knock this one out before Zestiria comes out stateside.

3. I need to buckle down and focus.

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - Plays well enough, the combat is fast and fluid, but the camera control makes me want to stab somebody and then puke from motion sickness. The translation irritates me, but only because I'm a nerd about certain things.

Ori and the Blind Forest - I love this game, but just stopped playing it for some reason. Should be able to power through it during the weekend.

Resident Evil: R2 - Got to the 3rd chapter the other night. Not too bad, not too great. Perfect example of a "Good Enough" game. Really waiting for Raid Mode Online to unlock.

Final Fantasy XV Episode Depeche Mode - I'm enjoying this too, but I stop playing it when I remember it's a demo and I have full games to complete.

HOTS: It's baby's first MOBA but I like it.

4. Monster Hunter

I always complain about games not turning over the keys to their mechanics quickly enough, but this one gives me the whole game up front and I'm having a panic attack.

The combat is so solid.

5. I need to go back to that also, shit!

6. Whoever designed Type-0's camera control and paired it with motion blur hates all that is good in the world.

7. It's an easy fix too, add sensitivity and drop motion blur. BAM, fixed.

Zombie Army Trilogy: Not sure how I feel about this. They fixed a few things and added some welcome additions. Addtions include 4 female snipers, an added melee attack and shotgun as a short range fire arm at load out. The shotgun makes zombie crowd control easier and the melee attack makes the once cheap death causing skeletons easy to manage.

What I don't like: maybe my install is buggy but there seems to be a lot less 80's horror synth and lot less X ray or slow mow cam. I used slow mow cam a lot to look around the field in the heat of battle. And the 80's synth combined with the slower zombies did a great job of replicating the feel of 80s horror movies. A welcome differentiation in a gaming world of fast virus induced zombies. It also feels like the sniper rifles have been nerfed. I remember getting a lot more headshots than I am now. Or maybe it just feels that way because of the almost complete removal of the xray or slow mow cams.

The new third act is a mixed bag on historical accuracy. They went to the trouble of adding in more period accurate buildings, radios, etc. But Hitler is a pathetic english speaking parody. And the new bad guys are either scrap armor plated or use chain saws. They look like something from the end of a capcom game and don't really fit in with what was presented in the first two games.

Still can't jump. Or wield an MG34 or MG42. Or drive a tank. Or fuck, just get in one for cover.

Lastly, the game pacing and scenery feels more polished in that there seems to have been a conscious effort to make the series more appealing to modern gamers. I don't personally like it, but the third act feels less arcadey. I really liked the arcade feel of the first one where I could line zombies up and shoot through several for combos, etc. I think that might have happened twice in the whole time I've been playing the new one. You can also save people and meet people to talk to.

All and all, NZA 2 is probably the best of the 3. 1's maps are too simple and 3s jumps the shark in a few areas. 2 still had the arcade like gameplay I enjoyed with superior maps and the 80s magic zombies that are rare these days.

9. Aliens Colonial Marines : (Thanks to A Robot Bit Me!)

WELL. Up to the first Alien encounter, which is quickly followed by the second, only you barely noticed you were in the first. Everything Alien Isolation did right in establishing tone, this ain't.

It's really strange that they seem to have taken their lessons in making it from the shitty mall Aliens machine gun games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. Mostly Monster Hunter with some sparse pinball these past few days. I'll probably have to prioritize Bloodborne on Tuesday.