Thread: I'm thinking that I may have destroyed the Devil's Canyon.

1. I'm thinking that I may have destroyed the Devil's Canyon.

I'm thinking that I may have a defective i7-4790k. I had it over-clocked to 4.7 Ghz on just 1.3 volts and the temps never exceeded 80c. Just 3 short weeks after getting the new setup running smooth, the computer turned off (last Saturday) while I was tweaking some settings in bios. I unplugged the power cable, let it sit for a minute and then plugged it back in. When I hit the power button, the fans make a slight turn and I hear the power supply shunt kicking in to turn off the 12 volt rail. I tried the power supply with my i5 rig and it worked fine. Everything checked out fine with the new motherboard and it would power up when I didn't have the 12v header for the CPU plugged in. Once I plug in the 12 EATX plug, the PSU shunts the power every time and it did the same with my 750 watt PSU. I thought it might be the motherboard, so I picked up another Asus Z87-WS board that was on clearance at Microcenter for $80. I get the same results. I've tried different RAM, with 1 stick and still the same.

Am I missing something, or did I just get a dud CPU?

My only other option (at this point) would be to pick up a cheap Pentium for $50 from Microcenter, to see if the computer will come up with that. I'd hate to RMA perfectly good i7-4790k (it was a pretty golden sample) only to find out that the CPU wasn't the problem.
    Last edited by gamevet; 26 Mar 2015 at 09:20 PM.

2. I opened up an RMA with Intel.

3. I decided to pick up the Anniversary Edition Pentium CPU today for $50 from Microcenter. I tried to use it with my second Asus Z87-WS motherboard, but my PSU shut it down. I took that board back to Microcenter for a refund and picked up an Asus Z97-Pro. Everything seemed to work fine, so I decided to put the i7-4790k on the board to test it out. The 4790k fried the board. I'm going to get a refund on the board and possibly the (Pentium) CPU, and I plan on shipping back the 4790k to Intel for a replacement. I wouldn't suggest using DDR3 memory that uses over 1.5 volts, as I'm thinking that the 2133 Mhz Kingston RAM that I had put in my rig was the reason why the 4790k died.

4. I've been running my rig with an Asus Z97-AR board for a little over a week with the Pentium G3258. The board has been pretty stable, so I plan on using it with the 4790k until I can get a warranty replacement Z87-WS board from Asus.

My replacement i7-4790k arrived in the mail today. I'm hoping I didn't get a dud that some asshole had sent in, because the chip wouldn't overclock past 4.5 Ghz. That would suck, considering that I was able to hit 4.7 Ghz on the 4790k I had, before it went south.

Intel support really cracked my up. I was working with a guy name Marvin. He'd ask me what parts (board, ram, etc.) I was using, even though all of that was clearly in the RMA ticket. I'd sent a question in about the status of my CPU, since it was delivered to Intel back on the 8th. Marvin asked for a tracking#, which really started to make me nervous about the box being delivered to them. He should have known (somehow) that my replacement CPU was already in transit.
    Last edited by gamevet; 16 Apr 2015 at 05:50 PM.

5. I installed the 4790k in my PC this evening. I was a bit nervous at first, because it was not running stable. I decided to manually enter in the voltages, RAM speed and multiplier. It's now running stable at 4.6 Ghz.