Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 152527282930313343 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Gaming News

1. There is a degree of training and skillsets that most people can't do in games as well. I mean, I'll beat you in Street Fighter right now if you want, but it doesn't really mean much to the world at large, nor would I expect it to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. eSports is getting more popular but it just seems so forced upon the public these days.

3. It has certainly been foisted upon the FGC.
    I liked it a lot more when SF was a sketchy niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    It's a profession because people will pay to watch it, no more. Just like cooking is a profession because people will pay to eat prepared food.
    Yes, but you need to eat.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Yes, but you need to eat.
    So? Since when do people only spend money on shit they need?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Those are all games (well, wood chopping is more of a task that builds character, but yeah). Games are not necessarily sports, and that's okay! The difference is that athletes have to go through hell to condition themselves and elevate their skill set, and watching the end result is fascinating because most people can't do it.

A Street Fighter warrior is pushing ones and zeroes with finger taps. Like you said, nothing silly about doing it, alone or in groups. Treating it as some feat of badassery, on the other hand, is quite silly.
    It's still not fascinating.

In fact it just seems kind of dumb.

"I spend a quarter of my day getting good at throwing a ball because someone else gets joy at seeing it, or likes to make fun of his coworkers"

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    So? Since when do people only spend money on shit they need?
    People tend to rank survival needs above things that don't help you survive. You were saying they were the same.

Unless the sportster is throwing me a rent payment, he is not helping me survive.

8. Food is a necessity. Restaurants are not.

Restaurants didn't even become what we know of them until the 18th century in France.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I liked it a lot more when SF was a sketchy niche.
    same, instead of worrying about sponsorships you had to worry about the squirrley looking viets that might stab you if you do tick throw loops

Part of it is a necessity. You're still getting food.

You don't get much of anything over a guy getting paid millions so you can watch him throw things and hit things, culminating in you going to work Monday and ribbing someone that likes to watch the other dudes throw things.

Nothing about spectator sports is good for anything.