Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2939414243444547 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Gaming News

1. Well they have no reason to stock your game playing product if they can't sell money making things around it.

All they'd have are 70 and 80 dollar controllers

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Wasn't that the whole thing about digital? That it was supposed to be cheaper because there was not manufacturing, distribution, etc.? Shouldn't it be cheaper? Let the one who want the extended rental pay less and the ones who want a physical copy pay more. That was the whole selling point, wasn't it?
    Did you read the story? Digital was cheaper. The price had to be increased if they wanted to make a physical version for the reason cka stated.

Of course, it could be argued that wanting the game on consoles is the real root of the problem. That is what leads to what Joust mentioned that in turn leads to this issue. That's different but largely overlapping group of troglodytes to blame.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Wasn't that the whole thing about digital? That it was supposed to be cheaper because there was not manufacturing, distribution, etc.? Shouldn't it be cheaper? Let the one who want the extended rental pay less and the ones who want a physical copy pay more. That was the whole selling point, wasn't it?
    No the point of digital has always been to hand total control over to publishers and restrict your ability to resell games.

4. I think SSJN would appreciate this article on running an independent game store.

For some like Brossman at Complete in Box, though, it's worth it to suck it up and play the distribution game. He points out that certain items have even worse margins than new games, noting that he pays $29.90 for a Microsoft gift card that sells for $30. If a customer buys that with a credit card, his store loses money on the sale.

"Sometimes you just kind of have to eat it," he says. "… You just do that, just hoping, 'Well I hope they'll remember this. I hope that they'll come back.'"

5. Random Gaming News

There was an indie game store near me when I lived in Parsippany NJ and I gave them tons of money (in exchange for stuff obviously). They sold out to GameStop though.

6. The few independent game stores I still see specialize in older stuff.
    I won't be sad if digital sinks places like EB and GS that only carry modern games and gouge people on trade-ins.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I think SSJN would appreciate this article on running an independent game store.
    You guys should seriously look at some of the stores in the photos...

I thought this was some kind of pre-school when I 1st saw it.

Someone's house originally?

Doing your nails & washing your clothes at the same time!

Now I want to see what SSJN's Store looks on the outside and what his neighbors are! lol
    Last edited by BonusKun; 19 Jul 2017 at 06:45 PM.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

8. It should be obvious that an independent store can't feasibly sell enough items at slim-to-zero margins to survive.

The internet and big box stores just do certain things better than the mom and pop shop can. The game store will have to differentiate by doing something that the competition cannot if it is going to survive. They need to have intangible services and high-margin items to replace the actual games.
    Last edited by Dunlap; 19 Jul 2017 at 06:50 PM. Reason: I do feel for them though
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

9. I plan to stop by Digital Press store in NJ, but I don't expect to buy much if anything. I will bring some dirty laundry along.