Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $100,150 for Super Mario Brothers?

1. $100,150 for Super Mario Brothers?

https://www.ha.com/heritage-auctions...releaseId=3583

Wait, WTF... someone did. $100,150 for NES Super Mario 1, really? Several collectors pooled together to buy it. Sure, SMB has that historic significance going for it & this sealed copy is in such a pristine condition. So what? This is ridiculous.

And if the cartridge is a dud? Chances are good no one will know, because the buyers most probably won't open it even for a quick test.

2. $3 million for a baseball?!

3. It's a sealed test market variant, so fanboys are losing their shit over it. It's still SMB.

This quote from that link is more offensive to me than the price.
    "Super Mario Bros. is not only the most recognizable game of all time, it saved the video game industry in 1985," said Wata Games President, Deniz Kahn.

5. I know. Even without SMB or another mascot game, the NES & the industry in general still would have been fine. Genesis & PlayStation didn't really need a mascot to get started.

6. The home computer market would have continued to grow, just as it was doing in Europe. And like Europe, console gaming would begin to make a comeback with the 16-bit generation.
    Last edited by gamevet; 15 Feb 2019 at 08:23 PM.

7. This auction house wants to push sealed videogames as the next frontier for art collecting. I wouldn't be surprised if they put up the money behind the scene to drive this up to get other sheeps (celebrities) to outbid each other.

8. While I recognize that this one is in exceptionally good condition, this game is one of the most common and value-less games of the era. If it sells for more than a sealed copy of Combat for the Atari VCS, it's too much.

It isn't Action Comics #1. There are millions of SMB carts out there, and even in the box in decent shape they're not crazy rare. Being sealed shouldn't increase its value a thousand-fold.

9. A 1985 SMB cart is not common. It was a test market cart that was sold in the few thousands, possibly dozens, if the rumors are true.
    Last edited by gamevet; 15 Feb 2019 at 08:29 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    A 1985 SMB cart is not common. It was a test market cart that was sold in the few thousands, possibly dozens, if the rumors are true.
    I get all that, but that doesn't make it substantially different in any meaningful way. It's still a dirt common game.