Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DVD ripping and burning software

Shut up Yeller. I don't want to account for your bizarre feelings on media.

2. I'll find out soon. I ordered a bluray burner so I can add subs to a couple of movies that don't have them. And start ripping the bluray collection eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    media.
    Jews did WTC.

4. Perfect timing for this thread. Going to start creating a media library by ripping all my DVDs to a HDD. Anyone have experience with Plex? Is it worth getting?
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

5. Makemkv seems good out of the gate, and it's free. Ripped a 20gb bluray to a lossless (I think?) mkv in under 10 minutes. I'm still not sure what I want to do for backup. This one is a special case since all I need to do is add internet subs to an unprotected russian bluray.

ISO is probably the simplest for a pure 1:1 backup, but lossless video and audio rips in mkv form seem like a good idea. Whatever it is will have to have 1:1 parity with the brd. Cutting out all the dumb trailers and garbage will be a huge plus.

Has anyone investigated offsite/cloud style backups for a brd/dvd rip collection? Storing terabytes of backups could easily go to waste with a random hdd failure.

I have two externals I back up to. I back up all my music daily. I only back up the movies I know I won't be able to download easily.

Ryan, I use an Apple TV/iTunes for streaming. If you decide to go that route I have lots of tips and tricks for you. I've never tried Plex, but I think Chux might have?

7. Nah, never had to. The WDTV Live handles everything I've thrown at it natively. Even SBS3d 1080p MKV's. Shit is the truth.
    Xbox One also handles damn near everything I've got.