Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Daredevil (Netflix Series)

1. Thumbs Up Daredevil (Netflix Series)

Not going to spoil anything since this just came out so I'll be very general here, Daredevil's been one of my most anticipated original Netflix shows and it really delivers.

Having binged watched the entire season over the past two days it's a far better realization of Daredevil from the 80's/00'scomics than the Mark Steven Johnson film which had too much stuff to juggle and crammed into one movie. As a series this lets all the characters breathe and grow while simultaneously having Marvel's high grade cinematography and budget. Marvel did a great job with bringing in actors first and then giving them the comic looks rather than the other way around which pays off with great performances by Charlie Cox, Vincent D'Onofrio, Deborah Ann Woll, Scott Glenn, Rosiaro Dawson and pretty much the entirety of the cast. The only actor I wasn't particularly taken with was Eldon Henson's Foggy who was a little annoying and a bit off in some places but was otherwise decent.

The action sequence throughout the series are plentiful and well integrated into the story with the highlights being in episode 2 and 9. The last episode's main fight lies somewhere in the middle although a bit rushed for my tastes but maybe it holds up better with a repeat viewing. My only other issues with the series were the fact that we didn't see the red Daredevil costume until the very end and the inconsistent pacing of the latter episodes which gives the series a little too tidy of an ending. Still there's enough hanging sub-plots, mentions, easter eggs, and lore to explore from the first season to carry well into a second and third (if all goes well) so I cannot wait to see them introduce more staple Daredevil characters and villains.

Overall I'd give the series a 9/10, Daredevil sets a high bar for future Marvel Netflix series to come and arguably even the films.
    Last edited by Will; 12 Apr 2015 at 11:26 PM.

2. Daredevil (Netflix Series)

This was a better Batman than the 3 DC put out.
    Last edited by Chux; 13 Apr 2015 at 12:20 AM.

3. Oh yeah, whatever happened to that Gotham show thing?

4. Hmm, I don't know if I'd say better but it's certainly in that same vein.

What I really enjoy about DD is that he's basically Marvel's Batman without the riches so it's more interesting to see how he works without having Bruce Wayne's resources since he has to struggle much harder for his victories. Granted, he has ninja magic training, a limited (yet versatile) weapon set, and crazy superhuman senses to make up for it but he's very much set in the Marvel "feet of clay" mold.

5. I've watched through episode 11. I love how this is a war with wins and losses for both sides, and Kingpin getting his own "hero's journey" separate from his fight with Daredevil. If I didn't have a deadline I'd be watching the last two right now, but it's a bit too late tonight. Still tempted!

Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    This was a batter Batman than the 3 DC put out.
    Good choreography and no shaky cam bullshit means that I agree.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

7. I've watched up to episode 4. I will definitely give you the fights being better. Being able to see the moves, and the fighting is fantastic. I think the first two Bat movies have it on story though, and pacing for me. I think they could have easily cut 15 - 20 minutes from each of the 4 episodes I saw, and they would have been better for it.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

8. The downfalls of not needing to edit.

9. I watched it all on Sunday morning/afternoon. I enjoyed it but thought it was pretty average. The fights are fun but nothing clever or super interesting (the fight scene in episode 2 being a notable exception). Enjoyed the lack of cutting in the fights.

The stuff with Kingpin was superb except for them not seeing that Owlsly was clearly behind it the whole time. I wish they had made Kingpins political maneuverings smarter. Maybe it's because I watched house of cards recently but Kingpin schemes felt kind of dumb.

I found Foggy Nelson extremely annoying and downright idiotic at times. Killing off Ben Urich also seemed silly.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 13 Apr 2015 at 08:49 AM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I watched it all on Sunday morning/afternoon. I enjoyed it but thought it was pretty average. The fights are fun but nothing clever or super interesting (the fight scene in episode 2 being a notable exception). Enjoyed the lack of cutting in the fights.

The stuff with Kingpin was superb except for them not seeing that Owlsly was clearly behind it the whole time. I wish they had made Kingpins political maneuverings smarter. Maybe it's because I watched house of cards recently but Kingpin schemes felt kind of dumb.

I found Foggy Nelson extremely annoying and downright idiotic at times. Killing off Ben Urich also seemed silly.
    I guess I'll spoiler all of this. Spoilers for the entire season, so beware.
    I had expected Karen to get dealt with, since she doesn't make it in the comics. Ben dying is also dumb, but I guess paves the way for Phil Urich to work at the Bugle now that Sony and Marvel are playing nice. Fisk made mistakes because of Vanessa. I'm assuming Madame Gow went to K'unlun and we'll be seeing her in the Iron Fist show.

Foggy's dick game is too stronk btw