Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness (PS4)

1. Nice thing about fiction is that it can be created to be meaningful.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I'm about an hour in, and waiting for the game to turn awful. So far I can't see what all the professional critics are crying about.
    Not sure what the professional reviewers' critiques were, but I think the game plays fine. The presentation, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired. Since RPGs are largely story based, they need to rely on presentation to keep a player's interest, and Star Ocean largely fails in that area. I can barely tell which characters are supposed to be talking in the "cut scenes." The game just feels sloppy all around. I'm not sure why I would play it over a game like Trails of Cold Steel.

3. Quote Originally Posted by magnifiedplaid View Post
    Not sure what the professional reviewers' critiques were, but I think the game plays fine. The presentation, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired. Since RPGs are largely story based, they need to rely on presentation to keep a player's interest, and Star Ocean largely fails in that area. I can barely tell which characters are supposed to be talking in the "cut scenes." The game just feels sloppy all around. I'm not sure why I would play it over a game like Trails of Cold Steel.
    Agreed on the sloppy storytelling, and angling Fidel to talk to an NPC can be a chore. But everything else feels like Star Ocean, and it's been 7 years since we had a Star Ocean (and 12 years since we had a good Star Ocean), so I'll drink it up.

I love that they maintained the tradition of horrible, awkward spoken lines at the end of battles. Anything else would feel wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

4. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Nice thing about fiction is that it can be created to be meaningful.
    Ouroboros.

5. Well. That certainly ended quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.