Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: The General Purpose Arcade Thread.

It's still straight up garbage. The gameplay is completely broken. Indefensible.

2. I'm liking the NES Captain America so far, though it's completely different from the arcade.

3. Remember when I was talking about the Three cabinet that I had that first had a shitty picture, but then no picture except a squished line through the middle? When Vasteel was here last weekend we turned it on for shits and giggles and it was back to full screen shitty picture. A little kid that wasn't being watched by his parents decided to go behind the cabinet and plug it in. Thankfully (?) he wasn't electrocuted, and the screen is still full screen.

20150712_171439.jpg

I ordered the microswitches I needed forever ago and replaced them all. I just ordered the connectors (a bunch were missing for some reason) for the button wires. Next I need to match up the bolts some asshat lost so I can reattach the controller.

Then I'll still need to buy a new monitor...

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    It's still straight up garbage. The gameplay is completely broken. Indefensible.
    Now that I tried it again... OK, not so good as I remembered. The animation is really stiff. Dash attacks are about useless on the Genesis version, also. You could rely on them in the arcade, but not there. Captain America's rushing tackle is gone on the Genesis version, replaced by just a weak punch. Lame.

Thrown object damage against bosses has been nerfed on Genesis as well. On the arcade, a handful of barrels thrown at Whirlwind puts him into desperation mode. On Genesis they drop the lifebar about 2 pixels.

Not quite as bad as the Punisher port, but still meh.
    Last edited by gameoverDude; 13 Jul 2015 at 12:21 AM.

Every time you get hit you fall to the ground and yell "noooo." In the arcade game you can take a few hits before that happens. Same with enemies. It's fundamentally broken. You can lose graphical fidelity, voices, and special effects but let the beat-'em-up play like it's supposed to and not garbage. Worthless port, up there with the Master System Double Dragon port.

Why should it go well?
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

I'm doing some cosmetic upgrades as well, SSJN. I'm ordering a custom made marquee from a guy in England on Arcade Otaku and got a move strip to match from ebay. Since my control panel is only a 2L8B, I'm going to order buttons to make it look like an MVS cabinet in terms of each button being a different color. I'm going to try to pull colors from the Blast City art, rather than necessarily going straight red, yellow, green, blue though. The sticks I'm torn on.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Every time you get hit you fall to the ground and yell "noooo." In the arcade game you can take a few hits before that happens. Same with enemies. It's fundamentally broken. You can lose graphical fidelity, voices, and special effects but let the beat-'em-up play like it's supposed to and not garbage. Worthless port, up there with the Master System Double Dragon port.

Why should it go well?
    Wizard was a snap on the arcade version, but on the Genesis one he killed my last credit. Of course it helped that I could tackle-spam him to oblivion on the arcade- and BTW, this tackle even guard-crushes the shield carriers. I think any strategies or tricks you can try on the arcade need to be carried over when a game is brought to a different platform.

Genesis' version falls down in game speed as well. Comparing to MAME, character movement feels like it's underwater. I think Data East should probably have hired Ancient to port it- especially after they did SoR 2 so well.
    Last edited by gameoverDude; 13 Jul 2015 at 09:29 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Every time you get hit you fall to the ground and yell "noooo."
    Sounds like that's also a good way to describe most home ports of the game. Nooooooooooo!!!!!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Brianvgplayer View Post
    Sounds like that's also a good way to describe most home ports of the game. Nooooooooooo!!!!!
    Ported by Realtime Associates, the SNES version is even worse. Take the bad of the Genesis one, lose the great soundtrack from that version, and add botched control.

You can do a dash attack on Genesis, but not the same as in the arcade. It's a slide instead of a tackle, with pitiful damage and no knockdown. It does momentarily stun though.

10. I didn't have a favorite impression of what I tried of the GG and GB versions (which were also done by Realtime Associates) either. Not arcade ports, but weird sidescrolling platformers. Almost like an odd hybrid of the arcade and NES versions. The GB one is especially bad since it is like the GG version in slow motion.