Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Legit Female Rockers

Cross-posting because Scotch Bonnets.

Full disclosure. I have no idea what any of their songs are about, since this is the first recording I've heard (and it's a cover), but they killed it the times I've seen them.
    Last edited by Josh; 06 May 2015 at 01:33 AM.

I HIGHLY recommend these folks, if rockin' is something she seems interested in:[LINK]http://www.girlsrocknc.org/]www.girlsrocknc.org[/LINK]
    They're really awesome, I can't say enough good about them and what they do. Durham is a great place to be for female rockers, and many local legends are involved.

Astroblue already suggested Paramore, which would be a top choice, as is Le Tigre. Cyndi Lauper too, who was 31 when Blue Angel put their record out.

Anyway, start with the undisputed Queen of Rock herself, Wanda Jackson. She still tours:

I don't know how this thread got this far without mention of these ladies:

Not strictly female group, but Wata was Drone Queen. Plus, it's in Japanese so any objectionable themes are moot:

Another band with a shredlord who happens to be female:

My favorite local band:

Mt Moriah is great:

Shirlette:

Fun fact: their drummer played in Born Against for a bit back in the day:

Oh yeah, those last 3 groups also happen to be local to you.

There's a lot of stuff I haven't mentioned like Lydia Loveless, Pink Flag, Babes in Toyland and tons of punk and country stuff mostly on account of more overt exploration of adult themes.
    Last edited by Vasteel; 06 May 2015 at 02:20 AM.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

The Donnas put out a very good 7" but I could never get down with their other stuff.

Anyway, how in the sweet motherfuck am I listening to Wanda Jackson for the first time right now? What a bad ass, holy shit.

seconding circle takes the square. Good pick, icarus.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

check the double neck mosrite in that first Wanda Jackson video

7. Not necessarily "rock" but Carly Simon!!!! Also Joan Baez. And the Carpenters!!! These three were really influential in my growing up. As I got older, Hole and Nico are my all time favorites but both of them are definitely a little heavy for a 7 year old.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

8. I have lots of love for Nico's solo stuff. The marble index is amazing!

9. Vasteel, If you like the Butchies, listen to this:

This is what started it all...