Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC cooling options

1. PC cooling options

So I just built a new system, and since I'm not overclocking I figured the stock fan would be fine. Playing GTA V with all settings maxed has me concerned though, as the heat jumped by a lot.

So anyway, I'm not looking at anything crazy here, but aside from Case Fans and Water Cooling what options exist?

2. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

I have the older Hyper N520 that I've used to cool an over-clocked i5-2500k and an over-clocked Q9650. You won't be disappointed with how cool these will keep your CPU.

How do I liquid cooling?
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    How do I liquid cooling?
    I'm using a Corsair H110 to cool my over-clocked i7-4790k. You'll need to have a case that will support 2 x 140 mm fans with a radiator.

5. Cool, thanks for the answers. So case fans don't really do much for the cpu correct?

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    This is what I use. I had used nothing but the retail box CPU fans until PvZ: Garden Warfare ironically enough. That game was very CPU intensive and pushed me to finally get an after-market cooler.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 03 May 2015 at 03:00 PM.

7. also what I use

8. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    Cool, thanks for the answers. So case fans don't really do much for the cpu correct?
    You still want to have at least 1 fan bringing in cool air from outside of the case. I'm currently struggling to keep my EVGA GTX 780 Classified under 80c when it's overclocked to 1254 Mhz. I'm thinking about adding a 3rd fan to get additional cool air into the case, but for now, I've had to remove the side panel to allow the 780 to have more area to push the hot air out of the case.

Here are some pics of my fan setup and closed loop water cooler.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 03 May 2015 at 05:37 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    Cool, thanks for the answers. So case fans don't really do much for the cpu correct?
    Not directly. Its still good to have good air circulation and movement from case fans, as that will bring in cooler air from outside into your computer. With an air cooler, even ones as good as the Hyper 212, you still need cooler air being brought into the case. Also I suggest going with 2 fans on the Hyper 212, one on each side, set up in a push pull fashion (ie one fan is pushing air through the fins and the other one is pulling it through).

With your case you're going to want to balance the air pressure for better air flow and movement. Basically if you have one fan pulling cool air in, then you also need 1 fan pulling hot air out.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

10. That Hyper 212 thing is a real pain in the ass to install. The way the mounting bracket "fits" onto the cooler is incredibly poorly designed.