Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing the Stalk Market

Thank you to those who bought Splatoon.

Disney is up 9.6%, and Nintendo is up 8.4% in my two months of holding them.

2. Nice, you should sell Nintendo before it is too late.

Nah, I still think it's a good gamble, especially with Iwata out of the picture (too soon?). I bought Disney to hedge my bets anyway, so I think I am reasonably safe from losing anything on the pair.

I'm starting to think a solid investment strategy is to buy companies with irrational fan bases that will buy anything. I wish I would have figured that out before Apple exploded.

4. Disney and Apple are getting pummeled.

Not even the short-term idiots who sell based on quarterly results can drive Disney back to what I paid for it. I think quarterly reports might be the single most damaging thing we do to our economy though. The market freaks out, executives freak out, and terrible decisions get made.

6. Their QE report looks great, price drops. Profit taking and momentum trading = good opportunity to buy some more.

7. Playing the Stalk Market

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Not even the short-term idiots who sell based on quarterly results can drive Disney back to what I paid for it. I think quarterly reports might be the single most damaging thing we do to our economy though. The market freaks out, executives freak out, and terrible decisions get made.
    That's why regular folks should adopt the buy and hold strategy. Short term fluctuations suck but over the long term companies' stocks theoretically approach their intrinsic value.

Agreed, but I didn't just mean in terms of investments. Publicly traded companies make irrational lay offs and the like based on quarterly results too.

Nintendo's carrying the day today based on absolutely nothing.

10. The lesson here is don't buy their games, but stocks is a maybe