Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On Making Games

1. I liked GameMaker. If you aren't too hung up on performance it's very easy to use, though the last time I used it (like 5 years ago probably) avoiding stutter or screen tearing was impossible. Very simple and flexible 2D toolkit though.

I've never done sprite-based 2D in UE4, but it does have sprite-based 2D templates and examples and the performance on desktop can be blistering if the settings are right. I've been really vocal about how much I love UE4's workflow. I'd probably start by checking it out first and seeing if the mobile performance is there.
    Last edited by Tain; 12 May 2015 at 12:00 PM.

2. I saw Tappy Chicken as an example, which is probably even more complex than what I intend to do, but then I saw how they had to make mask meshes in 3DStudio (which I don't use) to avoid overdraw to get the performance they wanted and I started having second thoughts.

But maybe that doesn't really matter, since I'm not going to be doing parallax scrolling. All I need is a smooth scrolling background and maybe 4-8 small sprites on screen. Pretty simple stuff. The catch is that there's kind of a lot of unique content, and if adding individual sprites and frames is labor intensive it could fuck me up.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 12 May 2015 at 12:04 PM.

3. Yeah, that does sound a bit much. I really have no clue what goes into making a 2D game with either UE4 or Unity, having to make meshes sounds annoying.

Would making a straight-up HTML5 game be too clunky?

4. I hadn't really considered it, but I can't think of any immediate reasons why it wouldn't work.