Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Making Games

1. On Making Games

Stumbled on this nice Google Doc about 2D camera systems and it got me thinking about similar ideas.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...F1GCf08efg/pub

Really interesting nuts and bolts breakdown of how scrolling is handled in a variety of games, with a look at how the code is handled.

I'm sure a lot of us have had the 'well if "I" made a game, I'd do it like this!' kinds of thoughts, nowadays that sort of thing is entirely possible. Seen other stuff like this? Post it here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_no3ciaE8HN1qav3uso1_400.gif 
Views:	272 
Size:	386.7 KB 
ID:	76663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_no3ciaE8HN1qav3uso3_400.gif 
Views:	268 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	76664  
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

That's cool, I've thought about drawing similar lines to explain why, like, scrolling in Valis sucks.

3. I've always thought it would be cool to make a 2D fighter with pixel level collision and frame data.
    It could even be encoded in the alpha channel for the sprites.

4. Can I just mention how much it makes me internally rage when I run in in a game and the game keeps the character on the same side of the screen I'm running towards? That's the way I'm going, you stupid fucks. I need to see what's ahead of me, not what's behind me.

5. I can't remember what game it was, but there was one for the Amiga where the camera shifted as you gained speed so you could see further ahead. It was a neat effect.

6. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Can I just mention how much it makes me internally rage when I run in in a game and the game keeps the character on the same side of the screen I'm running towards? That's the way I'm going, you stupid fucks. I need to see what's ahead of me, not what's behind me.
    Belt scrollers seem to have a real problem with this. I hate being forced to walk backwards into empty space, then forward again to re-center Final Fight's camera.

7. I think that has a lot to do with accommodating a second player.

No one cares about that guy. He didn't pay for the game

9. Well... he paid a quarter, if you're playing two-player in 1988-1992.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. I've had an idea for a game rattling around in my head for a while, but lately it's been starting to really take shape, and I'd kind of like to take a crack at it. I have the ability to handle the art on my own, and the gameplay mechanics are simple enough that I think I can script the game myself as well if I use a development suite but I don't know what engine would be good to try.

My requirements:
    2D graphics
    Runs on iOS and Android
    Supports IAPs, ads (game is free-to-play, but I have an idea for a new kind of monetization scheme that won't annoy the piss out of players)

I was thinking about GameMaker Studio, but the Android module is expensive and I'm not clear on how to implement ads and IAPs. Then there's Unity and UE4, but I worry that they might be an inefficient way to handle 2D both in terms of the work on my end and in terms of performance, especially on the mobile side where performance is such a concern. Has anyone ever tried their hand at this sort of thing?