Thread: Anyone here a Microsoft Word Expert?

1. Anyone here a Microsoft Word Expert?

I'm preparing my dissertation proposal and I have to use this awful Word template. I've put everything in, but the damn table of contents keeps including all the text. I've googled it and found only references to 2003 (a similar problem the next version of Word supposedly fixed) but nothing for 2010. How do I make the damn TOC only display headings and not include text?

Have you tried doing it over in a new file? The people receiving the paper copy will never know.

3. I am not good at all with word but the toc should only be showing lines marked as header. Try selecting the regular text and make sure it's not marked as header somehow.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Have you tried doing it over in a new file? The people receiving the paper copy will never know.
    I have to send a digital copy at this stage.

I figured it out! It was a pain in the ass, but I fixed it. You need to highlight the offending text and click "add text" in the reference ribbon. Then, click "do not include in table of contents." I had to do it throughout the entire document, but it fixed the problem.