Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fry's is having a sale on Blu-Ray hits for $5-$8.

1. HD cable is a joke, HD streaming is a joke.
    I've no doubt the day is quickly approaching that streaming resolutions will match bluray resolutions.
    But until that day is here, I'm happy paying $10 or less for something I'll watch many times. I've never been a movie collector, so even at my most hoardish I had less than 200 movies across DVD, HD DVD, and Bluray. I've a tasteful book case they sit on. When it gets to the point that I can no longer have all the spines faced out and orderly I go through and sell/give away things. Last Christmas I sent by dad about 50 westerns that people had given to me over the years.

2. it's odd that I'll buy movies on disc but games on digital and not the other way around

3. Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    it's odd that I'll buy movies on disc but games on digital and not the other way around
    I won't buy movies that don't come with a real (not Vudu) digital copy, but I haven't yet bought a movie digital only. That time is coming fast though.

5. I don't own a huge amount of Blu-rays (40, maybe?), but if it's a movie I really love and know I want to watch multiple times, I'd rather just have it that way. Quality is better than streaming, and there's no way I consider streaming to be a legitimate option for ownership in this day and age. I can watch movies on Netflix, but who knows what will be available for watching at any given moment?

And yeah, I'm also in the "movies on disc, games digitally" type of person.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I won't buy movies that don't come with a real (not Vudu) digital copy, but I haven't yet bought a movie digital only. That time is coming fast though.
    My wife has bought several titles through Fios VOD. I just don't get how a Fios broadcast recorded to my DVR looks better than a streaming title from the same service. You'd think that having a 30 Mb service would be enough.

That's 3.75 MB download at peak. You also have to figure they're not sending you uncompressed video in the first place. The audio in streaming really takes a hit too.

I use Amazon since it's included in my Prime membership, but I'd probably not pay for it separately. If I was one of those "Sony really needs my $25" types I'd probably buy the disc, put it on the shelf, and then torrent a quality rip to watch.

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen.

8. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    but if it's a movie I really love and know I want to watch multiple times, I'd rather just have it that way. Quality is better than streaming, and there's no way I consider streaming to be a legitimate option for ownership in this day and age. I can watch movies on Netflix, but who knows what will be available for watching at any given moment?

And yeah, I'm also in the "movies on disc, games digitally" type of person.
    I'm the same. I don't want to depend on any digital service to see the movies I love. I'm no a movie shelf guy though, either. I save cases, but I keep movies in a binder. Only games that I love do I want to own physical copies of.

9. Since I was doing a purge yesterday I noticed that I've been shifting towards just not buying shit at all, but also not torrenting. I have enough shit on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon to keep me busy. Big movies that I love, I have on disc, your Star Wars, BTTF, Indy, certain marvel movies. I've also found a spot that people sell their digital codes that they aren't using for like $3-5 depending on HD/iTunes/or other.

The biggest coup was when Disney flexed it's nuts and said "You fuckers are going to play nice, and allow all of these movies to coexist on several formats". Now I can fire up the Vudu app on Xbox One (Or whatever console you have) and bam, they're all there.