Thread: The Horses

1. The Horses

So I just finished watching the Preakness Stakes. I'm not a huge horserace fan, nor do I bet on them, but I try to tune into the triple crown to see the next great hype fail.

Anyway, this race was run in the rain and it was an absurd rain storm. I'm amazed no horses were struck by lightning.

Am I on my own here or does anyone else take in these races? And if you do, do you bet on them? What's your game?

2. no

I think the TC is rigged anyhow

3. I need 538 or something to tell me what are the odds that 13 horses in a row would win the first 2 legs and then fail the Belmont. It does seem rigged.

I don't bet on horses, my grandpa had an enormous gambling problem and that's where he expressed it.

4. This would be an interesting one because you can find information on the competition and the types of races they excel at (remember, the 3rd leg is longer than the other two, which are almost the same length) and could use positional tracking data as well as betting information and line movement to (potentially) come up with a great story.

But they won't.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    This would be an interesting one because you can find information on the competition and the types of races they excel at (remember, the 3rd leg is longer than the other two, which are almost the same length) and could use positional tracking data as well as betting information and line movement to (potentially) come up with a great story.

But they won't.
    That's true, because 538 is a terrible terrible site.

6. welp, there it is

7. wow

congrats to that horse dude

8. Do the horses know they are running from a rifle shot to the back of the head? Or do they find that out too late.

9. So I was watching the pregame....pre race thing because I forgot that the race always takes place in the last 2 minutes of the scheduled time slot, and they were walking the horses to the track, and interviewing the trainers as they went. They got to one of them, and I swear to god he said "It's going to be a real horse race out there." I mean, that's either the most meta comment in history or he had read the wrong chapter of "Giving quotes to reporters 101" the night before and had forgotten that yes it was going be a real race involving horses.

And then I see the jockey running on an exercise machine to keep...loose? In game shape? I don't know.

Bizarre.