Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom (PC, PS4, One, Switch)

1. id's been hearing "Doom 3 isn't enough like old Doom" for a decade now, and all those closed-room hyped-out secret QuakeCon video impressions were excited about how vertical and enemy-heavy it was.

I hope it's good. Rage had some huge issues, so I have to be cautious, but those four seconds are pretty cool.

2. What is wrong with Rage (serious question)? I played a couple of hours and enjoyed it, but not enough to form a real opinion.

3. It did a lot well (the enemies were really mobile and looked cool darting all over the place, the weapons were unique and satisfying, the environments were surprisingly visually varied), but pretty much anything involving the overworld quickly became a drag, and you never had to worry about anything in combat because you'd just defib back to life if you died.

It was good enough for me to stick with through to the end, but just barely.
    Last edited by Tain; 20 May 2015 at 10:39 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Hey now, I've put more thought into Doom 64 today than anyone has in fifteen years.
    Good. Doom 64 II is what I hope this is.

Where Doom 3 falls down IMO is its slower pacing. Quake 4 suffered this to a lesser degree- Matthew Kane moves slower than Bitterman. Quake 4 < Quake II 2nd Chapter.

That PC port is Doom 64 EX, and here's Kaiser's Wordpress page. Doom 64 + higher resolutions + KB&M = epic win. He's also working on Powerslave EX and Turok EX. D64EX comes with the wadgen program which extracts the WAD from a Doom 64 ROM.

5. I enjoyed PC Doom 64, although it was on the easy side. I might have to try it again on a higher difficulty, but it was fun.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    It did a lot well (the enemies were really mobile and looked cool darting all over the place, the weapons were unique and satisfying, the environments were surprisingly visually varied), but pretty much anything involving the overworld quickly became a drag, and you never had to worry about anything in combat because you'd just defib back to life if you died.

It was good enough for me to stick with through to the end, but just barely.
    I liked RAGE. I thought that the racing games and running from base to base with vehicular combat helped to break the monotonous gameplay offered by most games in the genre.

7. The only problem I have with Doom 64 EX is that the HUD gets janky in widescreen modes.

9. other than some enemies being kinda eh,I think it's pretty badass

I liked D3 a lot though

10. It's not really Doom anymore, but whatever this game is looks righteous.
    Boo, Hiss.