Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1626282930313234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Collecting" Hang-Ups

fdbe60e999fab2c6c81e368bec5fa316.jpg

Aspergers

edit: Maybe we should call him Britney Sperers.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Baseball card collecting exploded in 1980, because the cards from the earlier years were somewhat rare and demanded a high price, and younger collectors looking to build card collections with the current players of their time were buying massive amounts of player packs with hopes of getting the more rare cards. Topps would purposely release limited runs of the top players within a player pack, to take advantage of the demand of buyers. I have baseball cards that were made exclusively for Denny's restaurants, because they were in on the hype that baseball card generated.

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/b...-cards-80s-90s

The same thing is happening with videogames of the 80's and 90's. Crap that nobody bought back then has become ultra expensive. I remember when Gamestop was dumping Secret of Evermore for $5, because they couldn't sell them. Now the game demands $50 to $75 for a boxed copy.
    1. The pokemon thing was a joke. I mean, it's in the fucking theme song. How are you guys this humorless?

2. How are you not proving my point? That's all a retread of things I've already said. The 80s was when card collecting became a huge thing, it is also when the bottom dropped out. The cards that are really honestly rare were made before it was 'collecting' from the start until the late 40s, early 50s.

3. We aren't going to see the same crash because like those early cards, early games were released to be enjoyed. If they are rare, they are legitimately rare. It won't bottom out because of a secret warehouse of chronoltriggers, or everyone buying them because someone told them it would be worth millions.

If it bottoms out it will be because most of the collectors lose interest at the same time, flooding the market like when the first 16 and 32 bit console came out. Or everyone starts to die from old age and their kids dump their collection to ebay 3000.

3. Let it go [cue music]

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post

Aspergers

edit: Maybe we should call him Britney Sperers.

I guess the discussion is over. Mechadues and kingoffighters are tnl 's singing fat lady.

6. Yeah, Mech and KOF are the ones that killed the convo...
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

7. wat is this

8. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    OH MY GOD! You killed funny!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    1. The pokemon thing was a joke. I mean, it's in the fucking theme song. How are you guys this humorless?

2. How are you not proving my point? That's all a retread of things I've already said. The 80s was when card collecting became a huge thing, it is also when the bottom dropped out. The cards that are really honestly rare were made before it was 'collecting' from the start until the late 40s, early 50s.

3. We aren't going to see the same crash because like those early cards, early games were released to be enjoyed. If they are rare, they are legitimately rare. It won't bottom out because of a secret warehouse of chronoltriggers, or everyone buying them because someone told them it would be worth millions.

If it bottoms out it will be because most of the collectors lose interest at the same time, flooding the market like when the first 16 and 32 bit console came out. Or everyone starts to die from old age and their kids dump their collection to ebay 3000.
    It's like everything else out there. Hot wheels collecting always has its ups and downs, model train collecting was a big deal in the late 90's, Beanie Babies were being collected for half a decade and Transformer toys from the 80's and 90's are now worth a lot of money.

Collecting trends change all of the time. Videogames are no different.
    Last edited by gamevet; 09 Jun 2015 at 02:12 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    wat is this
    Same old same old