Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: "Collecting" Hang-Ups

1. I want a NES Metal Gear, complete with map. Probably not going to happen unless I pay collector's price.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I like that Flashback dude is looking up at them longingly.
    That's Conrad B. Hart. Show some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I want a NES Metal Gear, complete with map. Probably not going to happen unless I pay collector's price.
    I'm the same way with the first Zelda. Shit's pricey.
    Last edited by BerringerX; 30 May 2015 at 04:21 PM.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    This is tremendously douchey. You're kind of deciding, based on some arbitrary shit, who is allowed to share your hobby.
    Would you give the same respect to someone on a guitar message board who's accumulated whatever number of instruments throughout their life and posts about it that you would someone younger who went on eBay and bought the same guitar models and many more and posts about it?

You would welcome them both equally?

Like I said, I see it as a weird prejudice because the person just coming in could be great, but they'd have to work for my respect (which is worth shit anyway.)

That's just posting on a message board. Imagine the same duo making individual videos, or starting podcasts.

edit: It's probably more of an attitude issue with me. I guess it would depend heavily on the tone of what they do.
    Last edited by Mzo; 30 May 2015 at 04:28 PM.

4. I won't fault someone for taking an interest in something that they weren't yet born for. Thanks to the internet, a person can get up to speed knowledge wise fairly quickly if they so desire. But it's totally an attitude thing. I want to punch people in the face because they come in here and talk shit about E.T. killing Atari or how the era of hardware between Super Nintendo and Playstation all sucked dicks or just repeat shit they heard the Nerd say.

As I stated before, I was super jaded against games for a looonnngggg time. Opening this place made me excited for gaming again. I looked forward to nerds coming in so that we could discuss shit. But there's none of that. No one buys old games to play them. It's just a box to check off a list.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    And if it makes you feel better your DS collection is less than half of mine. <3
    That makes me feel worse, not better! Now I have to try harder to make up for my lagging behind.

Or, we can just get married and combine our collections. Some girls marry for money, I do for DS games.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I want a NES Metal Gear, complete with map. Probably not going to happen unless I pay collector's price.
    I actually have that, from having gotten it back when it was new! Was going to get Kojima to sign my map, but my copy and me were in different states when I went to Tokyo.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    There are exceptions to the rule here (Melf, perhaps) but I think you're mostly right.
    As said ealier,

1. It is ok to be a completionist if you are running a website, a game journalist(lol) or writing a book on the subject. In that situation you might actually need access to all those titles. You know, so you don't come off as one of those guys that just copypaste shit from wikipedia.

2. The gen was my childhood system, so I completely understand wanting to own all of the gen library. Plus boxed complete gen games actually look good on a shelf because they are shaped like paperbacks. But needing to own one of every console game made is dubious. I doubt anyone has nostalgia for every fucking system.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I won't fault someone for taking an interest in something that they weren't yet born for. Thanks to the internet, a person can get up to speed knowledge wise fairly quickly if they so desire. But it's totally an attitude thing. I want to punch people in the face because they come in here and talk shit about E.T. killing Atari or how the era of hardware between Super Nintendo and Playstation all sucked dicks or just repeat shit they heard the Nerd say.

As I stated before, I was super jaded against games for a looonnngggg time. Opening this place made me excited for gaming again. I looked forward to nerds coming in so that we could discuss shit. But there's none of that. No one buys old games to play them. It's just a box to check off a list.
    I know that feel. I was in a vintage game shop and a 10 year old was telling like a 9 or 8 year old how 'it' was with the old gen sonic games and rocket knight games. He was even doing the nerd voice and saying "actually' every other sentence. It makes me an asshole, but I just wanted to push the kid over.

Shit kid, your dad's balls hadn't even dropped when those games came out. What the fuck do you know about the public reception of Sonic 2 versus Rocket Knight, and you're fucking lecturing your bud? Jesus Christ.

9. Where were your dad's balls when all those tanks you like to talk about were rolling out of German factories, cheeks?

I don't really talk about tanks that much. Its a pretty private thing for me, and I never raddle off facts about them like a know it all. And I damn well don't act like a know it all around vets that were there.