Page 9 of 44 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: "Collecting" Hang-Ups

1. Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX View Post
    Way to rub it in, vet.
    You only hurt the ones you love.

Translation: You should have bought my stuff dammit!
    Last edited by gamevet; 30 May 2015 at 11:09 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Would you give the same respect to someone on a guitar message board who's accumulated whatever number of instruments throughout their life and posts about it that you would someone younger who went on eBay and bought the same guitar models and many more and posts about it?

You would welcome them both equally?

Like I said, I see it as a weird prejudice because the person just coming in could be great, but they'd have to work for my respect (which is worth shit anyway.)

That's just posting on a message board. Imagine the same duo making individual videos, or starting podcasts.

edit: It's probably more of an attitude issue with me. I guess it would depend heavily on the tone of what they do.
    In that particular example I think it's about what the guys are doing with it. If it's just some rich hedge fund douche buying a $15,000 Gibson to hang on his wall, well fuck that guy. But if he is a player who is buying that shit on eBay because it's what he wants to play that's a different story. But both are guitar collectors in the strict sense of the phrase. So I guess the question is, what do you feel earns your respect?

A young guy who wants to get into vintage gaming needs to go down the rabbit hole to figure out what he likes, and that is a process that, thanks to the internets, can be a public one. And I don't feel like we need to go back in the TNL archives to figure out that we've all been dumb shits at some point in our lives.

No, we've been right about everything always.

Tnl had its own brand of stupidity. First you all went nuts on imports. Then there was a 5 year long back lash when everyone realized they'd wasted money.

It is only in the past couple of years that everyone has cooled down and plays what they want and how.

maybe we'll get lucky and these kids will figure the same thing out and sell their collections and make the market bottom out.

if we're not so lucky they will pull a yeller and put it all in the garbage and make prices worse.

5. Where was this backlash?
    Except for the time I traded a copy of Snatcher for a PCE copy of Yawara, I've never regretted an import purchase.

There was a period where people actively trolled any thread about a Japanese developed game.

7. Oh, you mean the same 3 people that troll/trolled any thread about anything they feel/felt is/was beneath them.

8. I can see why it would bother SSJN because he has a store and deal with these assholes on a daily basis. But the rest of us, who gives a fuck?

9. No one likes their "inside" culture to be co-opted by the mainstream. We see it time and time again with all kinds of art and artists. Games are no different. I'm sure there are nerd D&D forums full of people bitching about how the game has gone to shit since 1985 or something. Legos were better when they were just random sets, not all this licensed garbage. Metallica was great until the Black album, etc.