Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: "Collecting" Hang-Ups

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    But these fucking videos are PONDEROUS.
    There is no entertainment or information value. They sit in front of their ridiculous shelves full of shit they don't care about (ridiculous because EVERYONE does it now. It's not impressive or interesting), and run off a list.
    "Hey guys, I went to the grocery store and I bought this bread,"
    Holds up package of bread to camera
    "as you can see it's a little smooshed so I made the manager give me a 20% discount. I also grabbed this bottle of water"
    Holds up bottle of water to camera
    " I had a coupon and I was thirsty. Then I was walking down the cereal aisle and they had a buy 1 get 2 free on Oat Bran. I don't even like Oat Bran, but it was cheap so I couldn't pass it up."
    Holds up three boxes of oatbran
    "Well, that's all I got this trip. Thanks for watching and please leave me comments about what you picked up on your grocery run!"
    Those videos are probably actually tragic.

I have a feeling that completionist are unmarried IT and tech guys, that have no other hobbies and only interact with gamers irl and online. If I must IP it up, and make baseless accusations (as I do), I'd also guess that they became a completionist because it was the only way to stand out with their real and digital friends. It was a way to become the game expert. They're paying 200 and 300 at a time to stay top dog in cage full of mutts.

The videos tend to be younger kids. They saw people with a shelf full of games and wanted to get there RIGHT NOW, which is ridiculous since first of all, they miss the entire point of what those games represent to that original person and second, games are at their most expensive.

The old school people only buy when there's a deal. They'll wait years if they have to before buying what they want. The new kids drive up the BIN prices on eBay and then brag about how much they spent. In a very real way they're ruining the hobby (but giving SSJN more business, hopefully!)

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Collecting just to collect instead of to play seems stupid to me. I have to laugh at someone buying Sonic for the SMS for $1000 because it has a US barcode sticker on it when they can get the exact same game and box minus a useless sticker for $20.
    Chris Kohler crossed over from person who plays games (badly) to just a collector when he mentioned his US SMS Sonic purchase on Twitter. I suspected, but that was when I knew.
    Last edited by Mzo; 30 May 2015 at 12:23 PM.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

I don't know how that is possible in realty. A full collection for anything isn't cheap. Especially if you are paying 3 to 6 to ship each game. That is 2500 to 5000 in shipping charges alone on the NES.

Where are these kids getting that kind of money?

4. They really don't help my business, because the people that pay high prices for games don't step foot in stores.

It's super frustrating. When I opened this location I wanted to keep everything in store. As a collector, I hate going to stores that have nothing but common shit on the shelves and put all the interesting stuff online. There's no reason for me to go to such a place. Yet only old people walk into stores, and like Mzo stated, they'll wait to find a deal rather then spend the money. Everyone will oooo and aaahhhh at the selection and then walk out the door empty handed. I'd probably do better if I changed the business model from store to museum and charged an entrance fee.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post

Where are these kids getting that kind of money?
    dot com startups.

6. Eh, yeah, it you're collecting every game for the current gen systems then that seems pretty pointless. The only games that find a place in my collection, for current gen, are games that I have played and enjoyed enough to complete. If I don't like a game enough to finish it, it doesn't stay in my collection.

That being said, I have to admit to being a Dreamcast collector. I am currently working on trying to collect every game for that system. However, for me, that's all about the nostalgia of the Dreamcast. It's my favorite system, and it represents a time in my life that I look back on very fondly. I have absolutely no desire to play through every Dreamcast game I buy, and I do understand that half the games are going to be complete garbage (although sometimes playing the garbage games for ten minutes is good for a laugh). Therefore, I really spread out my Dreamcast game purchases, and only buy one here and there when I see a good deal at a mom n pop store, or if I find a good deal on a lot on eBay.

Where I draw the line though, is on stupidly priced bull crap. The N64 is also a system that means a great deal to me, and I flirted with the idea of trying to round up all the N64 games too. Unfortunately, I'm not stupid enough to want to pay $1,000 for a CIB copy of Clayfighter 63 1/3: The Sculptor's Cut. No thank you. I'll gladly pass on that.

7. I was just chatting with someone about this the other day, actually. They showed a series of pictures of a giant gaming room, nicely organized and attractively presented, and while I liked the fantasy of it, what I saw was far too many games to ever play.

Now don't look at my Steam library.

I don't worry too much about the new wave of collectors driving up prices.

- It's mostly CIB games that are sky high in price. Loose games aren't often part of that kind of collector mentality.
    - These people are allergic to imports so the prices of those aren't as affected.
    - Highly sought after imports (like on Saturn and Duo) have been expensive for a decade or more now anyway. This wasn't caused from these youtube collector kids but from rarity and being desired from the older hardcore crowd.

I'm not saying those new collector guys haven't annoyingly raised prices on some games but when I think of all the amazing classics that can still be bought for under $20, it could be a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    They really don't help my business, because the people that pay high prices for games don't step foot in stores.

It's super frustrating. When I opened this location I wanted to keep everything in store. As a collector, I hate going to stores that have nothing but common shit on the shelves and put all the interesting stuff online. There's no reason for me to go to such a place. Yet only old people walk into stores, and like Mzo stated, they'll wait to find a deal rather then spend the money. Everyone will oooo and aaahhhh at the selection and then walk out the door empty handed. I'd probably do better if I changed the business model from store to museum and charged an entrance fee.
    That is an idea. It probably wouldn't be the hardest thing to do.

Start a nonprofit, set yourself up as a care taker and set a wage. Find some completionist that want to show off their collection, rent their collection at a % of the entry fee per person, etc and you'd be in business.

Hell, ask shou to let you display some of his boards he doesn't have time to play.

Oh, and see if sega and Nintendo will let you put in game emulation stations that let kids try the games in the case in front of them.

Put that in Orlando or near Disney Land and you'd probably do alright.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    - Highly sought after imports (like on Saturn and Duo) have been expensive for a decade or more now anyway. This wasn't caused from these youtube collector kids but from rarity and being desired from the older hardcore crowd.
    While I agree that some games have always been expensive, they have been nearly constant in their cost for years. Look at how collectors are actively driving up prices in very short time spans now. A game that is sought after seems to double in price every year instead of staying at a constant high mark because of the one-upmanship and impatience they're bringing to the scene.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery