Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fury doesn't need a Thread

1. Arcade Kung Fury doesn't need a Thread

Suckas!

"Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

I was going to make this thread the other day, but it really doesn't.

3. I wanted to like this (hell, I love 80's action movies) but it tries way, way too hard to be campy.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 02 Jun 2015 at 07:59 AM.

4. Well, 4chan calls it reddit: the movie. I liked the sheer laziness of the puns. "Where have I seen this symbol before??" Triceracop, Hackerman, "knock, knock." "Who's there?" "Kno-(thinking about it)-ckles!" Then Hilter shooting cops through the phone? That was great and I've never seen that in a movie before!

Edit: Then there's that side scrolling, beat-em up shot which was pure arcade homage! I didn't like the cheap cg/forced VHS look of this, but I'd like to see that same shot on a Hollywood budget. It was radotach!
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 02 Jun 2015 at 09:36 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Then Hilter shooting cops through the phone? That was great and I've never seen that in a movie before!
    Danger 5, couple years ago.

Just in case you aren't being sarcastic.

6. The whole thing reminded me of the second season of Danger 5.

7. Second Season of Danger 5 is so fucking good.

8. Danger 5 did it much, much better, though.

I enjoyed this, but not nearly as much as I thought I would! It had some very good, over-the-top silly moments (helicopter arm!), but really tiring when it did the "bad movie" bit. The technical bits were crazy impressive, though. Them VFX artists are class-acts.

Luckily, these guys realized they should stop this at a half-hour. It would have been unbearable if it were any longer.

Jason Trost also had some interesting thoughts about Kung Fury (which animegirl commented on):
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jason...15997528448105

Quote Originally Posted by J-tro
    Kung Fury rant:
    (Disclaimer: I realize I'm reading into this way too much and I probably sound like a jealous, bitter old asshole, but it's something I need to say)
    I'm writing this because I've gotten countless fans writing me, "Isn't Kung Fury the best, have you seen it?!" And my response… Yeah. I actually kind of hated it.
    For my money, why I loved all the bad, grindhouse style films from the 80s, was because untalented people were trying as hard as they could to bring their dreams to life on the screen, but they were failing miserably in the process. They weren't pretending to be shitty filmmakers or bad actors, they were those things. But that's what made those movies great and even inspiring. They were trying as hard as they could to be something more than they were. That honesty, that earnestness is what gave those classic films heart, its what made me love them and root for them. Making fun of these classic films with dick jokes, camera winks and fake bad acting feels like it defeats the purpose of what those movies were to me as kid, when I was falling in love with the magic of film. They inspired me. Even if I sucked, I could still try? Awesome!
    Long story short, if Kung Fury was what movies in the 80s were actually like, I wouldn't be a filmmaker today. For better or worse, I actually love and understand those old movies. And I wouldn't be here today without them.

9. Retro-B, if you will...
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

10. I've been meaning to watch Danger 5 for a while. Is it really everything here done first & better? Hitler is even the bad guy in it too, right??