Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Legacy (3DS), spiritual successor to SaGa series by ex-Square vets

1. The Legend of Legacy tells the tale of seven adventurers on the quest of a lifetime as they explore the island of Avalon and unravel the mysteries of its dark past. When the game releases this fall, pre-orders and a limited number of launch copies will receive The Legend of Legacy Launch Edtion -- a limited collector's edition of the game. The Launch Edition is fit for all explorers, and comes in a large, collectible outer box that houses two additional treasures: a glossy hardcover, 40-page artbook by acclaimed illustrator Tomomi Kobayashi (SaGa series) and a 10-track Soundtrack CD of game music from composer Masashi Hamauzu (SaGa, Final Fantasy XIII). Only available at retail, the Launch Edition will be limited to pre-orders and a small quantity of launch day copies. The game will be released in retail stores and digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo 3DS on Oct. 13 for $39.99/CA$49.99. For more information, check out the official website at http://www.atlus.com/legendoflegacy

2. I've been playing through the Romancing series in anticipation for this. I feel bad for the people that don't "get" SaGa.

3. The Legend of Legacy demo is available on the eShop, check it out. You can transfer save data to the full game.

Looks like all of the main characters are available in the demo. Of course I immediately selected the best one, Filmia.

Combat is good so far, formations are interesting as is just healing a character with no HP instead of having to revive them. Good looking post-battle celebration, and leveling up.

Environments looking nice too with hand-drawn backgrounds reminiscent of Bravely Default, though not quite as fully fleshed out nor as lovely it seems.

Looking forward to checking out more.

4. Looking good.
    Boo, Hiss.

5. This looks great. I'm excited.

Shame they couldn't take two minutes to think up a decent title, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

6. Should've been Legend of "Who the Fuck Cares Can You Please Stop"
    Donk

7. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Shame they couldn't take two minutes to think up a decent title, though.
    If you were going to come up with a title for the explicit purpose of mocking JRPG titles, that title would probably still be better than this.

I haven't played a SaGa game since the FF Legend games and Romancing SaGa. I'd give this a shake, though, if I had disposable income and 388 less games on my Steam wishlist.

8. Okay, seriously. Is it the alliteration? Do people take "Legacy" to mean something other than "a thing handed down by a predecessor" and think it's just "Legend of the Legend"? There are a thousand other game titles that are just as stupid.
    Donk

9. It's pretty horrible. It's embarrassing. It's generic and stuffy. It sounds like one of those RPG Maker abortions that Kemco puts on the iTunes Store every month. It's even worse sounding than The Legend of Heroes. I would never tell a friend I'm playing "The Legend of Legacy." Because they would then think, "That sounds shitty. Andrew must have awful taste. I don't want to be his friend anymore." And I wouldn't blame them.

Saga of the Frog Knight
    Final Fantasy Legend Zero
    Journey to Avalon

I just thought of those over the course of ten seconds. None of them are very good. But none of them are nearly as cringeworthy as The Legacy of Legends.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

10. I think it might be all of the above, to an extent. I did think it was 'Legend of the Legend' for about 0.25 seconds when I first glanced at it.

It rings completely empty to me. And that may not be true, but it's the impression that it gives me. Having a meaningless name is okay if it also happens to sound awesome, but this one doesn't.

Even a simple change to something like 'Legendary Legacy' would have made it at least a little bit better.