Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 57891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC, PS4, One)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    All the talk about how the combat is "faster" and "more fluid" omits that they completely took out party control. And that annoys me because setting up combos with the NPCs was a lot of fun in the old games and set it apart from every other action game.
    Ah, I didn't know it was removed - just thought I had figured it out yet.

Yeah, that part's pretty crappy. I loved combos in ME3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post

The fact that so few reviewers mentioned it really makes me wonder if they did anything with the old games but watched the romance scenes on YouTube.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post

Having Shepard use Slam then ordering an Incinerate or Freeze on the airborne enemy is one of my favorites. Grievous damage.

4. What's strange is that combos still exist (skills will tell you what they combo with if at all), but I guess now you just need dumb luck?

More thoughts so far:

I finished the first big story thing you can do on the first planet. I really like the 'pioneering' aspect. That the time you put in a planet should, theoretically, make it a better place. Combat, no teammate commands aside, is still real fun - the mobility goes a long way in this. Planet travel is also fun. It definitely feels like a more fleshed out idea of what ME1 was promising to do.

That said, I'm a little disappointed by the first planet. I don't know how much of this is fair criticism vs. being spoiled by Breath of the Wild, but it feels so empty. Like most open world games, you have a lot of nothing with bubbles of things to do/find, meaning making a beeline for the next objective marker feels way more pressing and enjoyable than scouring a vast emptiness for little bits of combat, mining, scavenging, etc. BotW made it so nearly everything you see is compelling and draws you into one adventure after another. Andromeda feels boring and rote by comparison. I don't know if that's fair to say but...that's how I'm feeling.

I wonder how multiplayer works though! I'd be happy to try it out, given how snappy that part is, and playing with people vs. and AI team I can't influence would be welcome.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    What's strange is that combos still exist (skills will tell you what they combo with if at all), but I guess now you just need dumb luck?
    Pay attention to what your party members are doing. You can see them cast stuff and then you cast your ability and they can combo. Judging from what the abilities read (some are listed as finishers, others as specific combos, etc.), I'm guessing that what you cast when could determine what your party members cast. I only did a few combos in the opening story by launching myself at enemies when I saw them tagged by a party ability, since the charge is a finisher.

6. Mass Effect: Andromeda (PC, PS4, One)

Yeah, every enemy I pulled an enemy Cora went to go Charge, it was a good time.

7. Couple planets in, so far this is more Mass Effect, for better or worse. They've again tried to overhaul planet scanning with a system that now involves the Nomad (Mako), for something that's still not really interesting but at least faster and the hotspots are already marked on the map (at least so far). The bigger downside there is that the primary scanning is now done by on-foot Ryder for a special "resource" that funds weapon and armor development. Slight improvement is that you can now add items during weapon development to make them even stronger and with more mod slots.

Fast travel now exists, which I think takes away a bit from the experience of the chunks of explorable planet, but it also puts less pressure on making sure I got every single thing in one spot before moving on just so I didn't have to come back. It's a nice convenience that I'll try to save for when I'm just mopping up at the end of an area. A little disappointed that the Nomad has no giant cannon like the Mako did, but at least that means no focus on long vehicle sniping sections.

I find a lot of the complaints to be way overblown. The jumpjets control just fine and I have yet to experience a single issue with aiming them or platform hopping. The character creator feels like slightly limited in that it starts from presets, but it's nowhere near most of the complaints I see and also provides some of the better looking black, Asian, and Indian people that I've seen in a game creation customization. That said, it is clunky and not as easy to know where I'm going to end up when modifying when compared to Elder Scrolls, Fallout 4, or Black Desert (hence why my male Ryder has his eyes a little too close together), as they really need to add some basic animations to test the faces while working on them. The NPCs overall also look just fine aside from Addison, and I think they also changed the look of default female Ryder when the game hit release date (that's the girl in the gifs Geo was posting earlier).

The new conversation system is better. I like the responses way more because the choices are now much more natural things instead of the normal Bioware extreme heaven/hell decisions, and I think the personality development is now supposed to be more general and slow paced instead of just filling up a meter like the previous games. As far as main characters go, this is probably the best selection of choices Bioware has done since KOTOR.

I did have one glitch when I started my game where my camera bobbed up and down constantly making it impossible to aim. Fixed it with a restart. That's about the worst thing to happen to me so far.

8. Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    The game is a solid 8 at worst. People are being retarded.
    Reviews are rarely going as high as an 8 on this thing. It's looking more like a 6-7 based on your existing expectations.

From what I've watched the visuals are just God fucking awful considerign this game is five years newer than ME3 which looked fucking awesome.

9. Interesting reading:

http://www.animstate.com/round-table...ect-andromeda/

Mostly about animation in games, and the general things that can make a project go sideways.

10. I just watched Dunkeys video and holy fuck are the character cut scenes and interactions terrible.

The way the faces look and are animated is like a christian straight to video CG movie. It's fucking Mass Effect: Veggie Tales in here.