Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1323252627

Thread: No Man's Sky

1. Remember when people were wondering how you could do base-building in a game about exploration? I'm actually pretty impressed with how they figured out making both work.

2. The new update is another good step on making this the game that people were expecting. I trashed my old save and started over, and while I don't know how far I'll get in pursuing the new quest or building back to my previous levels it's feeling pretty good. It's nice to see the drama finally dead at long last, too. It's still a walking tour of the universe, but between people finally getting used to this being what No Man's Sky is and the major updates the game finally seems to be what should have been the launch version.

3. I've enjoyed the game very much, but there are still some elemental design flaws that irk me. It's incredible that such basic shit hasn't been addressed.

• You can't escape combat. Once a battle has started, it's kill or be killed. Your warp drive suddenly goes offline for no reason, and the only thing you can do is flee at impulse speed to the nearest planet and land to make your attackers leave. It makes no sense at all that you can't flee a fight if it's going badly.
    • Base construction has limits. Why give me all these decorations and more blueprints than I can shake a dead cat at if you're going to impose construction limits?
    • You can't warp between your freighter and your base. I can warp home from a system two black holes away, but I can't warp to my freighter that's in orbit. Dumb.
    • You can only have one base. I would love to have established bases throughout the galaxy. One for farming, one for resources hoarding, etc. You can only have one, which sucks.

The pros now outweigh the cons, I think, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

4. New update out today! It lets you build underwater bases, adds submersible vehicles, and introduces new aquatic life!

5. We’ll probably never see a GOTY Edition, with all of the patches, unless they bring it out on the next gen of console hardware.
    Last edited by gamevet; 01 Nov 2018 at 04:54 PM.

6. They've added so much to this game over the past year or so that I don't see them doing a GOTY version this gen. I played last night, and the submersible is pretty cool. Underwater environments now have much more detail and life, and there are carnivorous fish! There are underwater ruins too, and building a base involves all-new resources. It's a nice update!

7. I put a huge amount of time into No Man's Sky about once a year. I added 40+ hours on the last update, but figure I'll wait a bit for the next major one to dive back in. Generally when I'm done with a game I'm done for good, but I love poking back in to NMS and seeing what's new on a mostly annual basis.