Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood rated for PS4 in Korea.

1. Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood rated for PS4 in Korea.

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/castleva...qVJXR2YRwH7.99
    https://www.grac.or.kr/Statistics/Po...12581d53453bb0

Korea's GRAC (their ESRB) has given a rating to Castlevania Requiem. It sounds like it may well be a compilation of SOTN & Rondo, like the one that's on PSP. Even if that's all it is, I'll still take it. Just wow... I never could've seen that coming from the present Konami. Konami hasn't made an official announcement yet.

2. I admit it. If that collection came out for PS4, I'd dip on it.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

3. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    https://gematsu.com/2018/09/castleva...qVJXR2YRwH7.99
    https://www.grac.or.kr/Statistics/Po...12581d53453bb0

Korea's GRAC (their ESRB) has given a rating to Castlevania Requiem. It sounds like it may well be a compilation of SOTN & Rondo, like the one that's on PSP. Even if that's all it is, I'll still take it. Just wow... I never could've seen that coming from the present Konami. Konami hasn't made an official announcement yet.

I can totally see current Konami rummaging through its legacy for loose change. Put out a Switch port and I’d probably bite.

4. Pretty sure I've played neither. I'd be a dork and buy a Switch Version.

5. The story is this is PS4 only? It was driven by Sony, so it's unlikely to show up on other platforms.

I went ahead and bought it because I haven't ever played Rondo and I haven't played Symphony on a television in forever. It's the original version of Rondo (no 3D as I understand PSP had), and an updated translation/vocal track in Symphony (item names are the same. The game over screen has the Japanese version's Engrish). There are no extras to warrant getting this release, it's just a convenient way to play these two games on a PS4. There are some display settings that seem to be useless. Scanlines left a weird moire pattern on my screen, Interlacing make the screen flicker, and there's a Smoothing filter for some reason that looked good on my set. The game is windowed with a full-screen option that cuts a little off the top and bottom while still leaving some letterboxing on the sides. It does this weird thing where it plays item pickups and the death sound out of the controller speaker. I had to turn the sound down in the Settings -> Devices -> Controller menu on the PS4 to get rid of that. I don't know who would want that? The controller rumbles a ton while playing Rondo.

Anyway, let's use this thread to talk about the games. I haven't really played much of the older Castlevanias. I got really into the series with SotN and have played all the Metroiders, but just recently decided I wanted to go back and do the old series after playing Super Castlevania 4 on the SNES Classic. Rondo is amazing. The visuals are all cohesive and there is a lot of animation going on, I was really impressed with how well it's aged. The controls felt really solid, too. The moveset is limited but very responsive and deliberate. I've really enjoyed playing through because every enemy encounter is like a puzzle, you have to figure out where to go to bait the attack and wait your turn to counterattack. I'll just go ahead and make the comparison: this game is good in the same ways Dark Souls is good. I only really got discouraged once I made it to Level 5', but that was the last stage I played. I definitely can see this one being my favorite Castlevania; I saw nothing to improve. Symphony is a wildly different game, but I feel like it needed to be after this one. I guess I'll give Dracula X a shot next. I remember it feeling kind of janky when I played a little before.

As for Symphony, I do love this game but I feel like I have to qualify that more and more each time I play it. It's really pretty, and I like that the polygons in this version have had their resolution increased. But it's a game packed with enemies and locations, it is just packed with stuff. Your character can attack fast and move with a ton of precision, and you are constantly leveling up, collecting powerups and items. It's a very addicting formula, gliding through this huge, atmospheric castle and collecting powerups. But because it's packed with content, some things aren't balanced. It can feel schizophrenic. It's got so much cool stuff going on, but then it can't be a focused experience. Regarding the new audio, I was willing to give up the "what is a man" speech at the beginning, but didn't realize that meant that all of Alucard's dialogue was changed, even the attack grunts. I am still getting used to that. I really loved the old vocal cast. Again, I wonder who wanted this.

The two games are completely different, and that's very obvious when you pack them together in this release, but they both are excellent. If you want a tough game with polished controls, play Rondo. But if you want a lot of visual content and a world to escape into, Symphony is great.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

6. Did they add any of the extras from the Saturn port?

7. I heard that Maria mode was added to Symphony, but I haven't actually looked up information specifically about this release. No idea about the familiars or whatever else were in there.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

8. I'm not willing to move on the What Is A Man issue, so I'm sticking to my PS3 copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I'm not willing to move on the What Is A Man issue, so I'm sticking to my PS3 copy.
    Well arn't you just a fucking miserable pile of secrets!
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

10. A cesspit of hatred and lies, IMO.

It's not even a re-translation from Japanese, it's just a changed-around version of the original English text. Why?

I also never knew that the intro dialogue was riffed off of the totally nonsensical ending dialogue from Rondo.
    Last edited by Dunlap; 30 Oct 2018 at 12:00 PM.