Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21214151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Maker (Wii U)

1. How is this a fuck you? They're releasing a ton of already built levels and my impression was that they would release more for download.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

2. hi dunlap, how are you
    Donk

3. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    This thread is bonkers. You're all crazy.

4. It seems like most of the people complaining about the stupid design decisions are getting the game anyway.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    The amount of bitching in this thread from shadows, to the 9 days thing is too damn high.
    We bitch because we care.

This isn't Psycho Fox Maker. If this was Psycho Fox Maker nobody would give two shits about shadows on the sky, because nobody would give two shits about Psycho Fox Maker.

This is Super Mario Maker.

This isn't just GotY.

This is Game of the Generation.

This is the one game that will stand out above all others for all of eternity when people think about the PS4 era. Like Tecmo Super Bowl is to 8 bit, like Street Fighter 2 is to 16 bit, like Shining Force 3 is to 32 bit, like DDR is to the PS2 era, like Skyrim is to the PS3 era, so too shall Super Mario Maker be to the PS4 era.

And a game of that caliber can't have shadows cast on the fucking empty sky.
    Last edited by Cheebs; 26 Aug 2015 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    This is the one game that will stand out above all others for all of eternity when people think about the PS4 era. Like Tecmo Super Bowl is to 8 bit, like Street Fighter 2 is to 16 bit, like Shining Force 3 is to 32 bit, like DDR is to the PS2 era, like Skyrim is to the PS3 era, so too shall Super Mario Maker be to the PS4 era.

Cheebs totally went off the rails on that one.

8. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Cheebs totally went off the rails on that one.
    I know it should have been DDR in the 32 bit era and Metroid Prime for the PS2 era, but DDR was so much better at 60 fps that it had to end up the way it did. So it may not be ideal, but given the reality I had to go that way.

I would not think less of anybody who would prefer IIDX over DDR in the original list, however.
    Last edited by Cheebs; 26 Aug 2015 at 01:01 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    How is this a fuck you? They're releasing a ton of already built levels and my impression was that they would release more for download.
    Because like any DIY game, it inherently relies on the community to largely carry the content. Also, creating content for a toolset is far different from making a dedicated, designed, deliberate 2D Mario game. So the 'you do it' mindset is also inherent in the genre, not solely in Mario Maker.

Telling from Miyamoto's comments, plus the way the NSMB series has been well designed mechanically but aesthetically soulless (vs 3D Mario, where all stops are pulled out for each release in mechanics, aesthetics, et al), it just makes sense that Mario Maker is the next step in distancing themselves from making 2D Mario games. They don't want to do it, but a huge audience understands and enjoys it more than 3D. So why not develop something that can be carried by fans, periodically release Nintendo-made levels, and call it a day?

Granted, it looks like A LOT of time and care was taken into building the toolset and being as inviting and accessible as possible. It's the reason I wanna own it. It's still disheartening though, knowing that the most probable reason for its very conception is that Miyamoto wants nothing to do with 2D Mario.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.