Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: NieR: Automata (PS4) Yoko Tuttaro x Platinum

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Nier is also a partial homage to Ys I&II, .
    How so?

Something like half the game is the same. Bosses use a mix of bullet hell and melee weapons. The game world is a series of small areas that link together in much the same way. Few towns. Small areas. Eventually you learn to talk to / hear monsters, but you won't be able to on the first half. The ending area is a huge tower. The two guiding characters are twin girls.

Yeah, there are probably like 10 or more other games it pays homage to (like the Resident Evil house and lab, with a lab that has the camera perspective of shinra at the start of FF7) but Ys I&II is probably the biggest in that the major plot points are kind of whatifs of Ys. Like someone played Y's and thought "what if the whole planit is like this shitty barren island?" or "man, now that I can talk to the monsters, I'm kind of a dick. Some of these monsters are nice guys." Espically that second one. That must have really stuck with Yoko Taro or one of the writers as a child. Because that is the biggest punch Nier 1 has. "what if I'm a dick and these monsters are actually ok people?" And that is lifted straight from Ys I&II

Not that they are particularly clever for that. Nier was suppose to be their last game. And the director liked to make games that effected people emotionally. They probably had a meeting at work and asked people what games impacted them the most, and things like Ys or Resident evil came up.

Using the small compact level design of YsI/II was probably just as much a pragmatic choice as a homage. It was suppose to be their last game. They needed to keep it small enough to finish and get out the door.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I don't really care for the save / continue system. It has one similar to ZombiU in that if you die, you go back to the Bioshock like save point, but you have to hunt down your body. Otherwise you lose some of your shit.
    Feels more like Dark Souls to me. You don't really lose that much; just your equipped chips (and some experience). Both are plentiful. Picking up your previous body spares you the hassle of manually reequipping the chips.

I'm on my third playthrough. This game just gets more and more badass each time through. In case you were getting a little bored after the first two playthroughs, the game REALLY ups the ante after ending B.

I don't see the resemblance to Ys I&II at all, unless you were talking specifically about NieR 1. And even if you were, I don't see much resemblance beyond generic action RPG tropes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

Well yeah, I meant Nier 1.

If you don't see a similarity, I question when the last time you played either.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Using the small compact level design of YsI/II
    Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Ys I&II is probably the biggest in that the major plot points are kind of whatifs of Ys.
    Nier is also a partial homage to Ys I&II [...]

It can go from Ys Boss style Boss battle
    Battle mechanics were like y's I and II but slightly more complicated than just ramming into shit.
    I mean, I love it. But if you don't want to play sad brown ys, pass on it.
    The first is just a dark brown version of ys I ii.
    At the very least, if you like y's you'll probably like it.
    Since nier 1 was a retelling of Ys I/II
    If you don't see a similarity, I question when the last time you played either.
    So if you were to pick a game to compare Nier to, what would you choose?

Dankey Kang, obviously.

8. God damn I hate Ys, nice thing I can dodge this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

We get it Yeller. You've had a knea jerk reaction against the game and are looking for reasons to justify your feelings.

1 is more like Ys. 2 is more like Bayonetta and a random assortment of shumps. There are plenty of bosses in 2 that aren't like Ys. And you can beat most things in the game with melee and avoid using yur bot to shoot like using magic in Ys I/II.

10. What? I don't even think about this game, I was flipping through threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!