Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 313151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: NieR: Automata (PS4) Yoko Tuttaro x Platinum

1. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    If the surprises and mystery are the only reasons to play or enjoy a piece of fiction, then there's little reason to return to it beyond the first viewing.

If it's as good as you say, surely it must be worth revisiting, yeah?
    It's the kind of game that does fun experimental stuff that reflects themes in story & themes in presentation directly through gameplay. HOWEVER, when it's not doing that, it's the poorest man's Zelda that tries its best. That's separate from the larger mysteries and major plot, too.

I don't know if I'd ever replay it (who has time), but that's not to say I felt like my time was for a flash in the pan mystery. Although as much fun as I had going through its weird experimental fusion of theme/genre/gameplay, I really don't think it's required playing if you just want a rad Platinum game that finally has an equally rad story. Watch a vid, catch up, and play Automata.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

Y'all are the worst.

3. EDIT: I would even say Nier 1 is better if you hadn't played Drak at all. Then the reveal towards the end is bigger. Most people probably didn't even know the series were connected around the release of Nier.
    There's a hint halfway through Nier in random loading screen that refers to a single line in an ending that takes a stupid amount of effort to achieve, seems like a weird joke, and is the final ending of a game that no one enjoys playing, I'd say everyone should go back just so they know everything so they can enjoy Nier more.

Finch, what do you think of the new game?

(I don't think anyone is going to talk sleeve or hero into not suggesting soiling one game so they can play another now)

5. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    12-15 hours on Normal difficulty. Each subsequent playthrough is about half that.

Might take longer if you do the subquests (which I recommend).
    Like some other RPGs, sub quests can be failed if you haven't done them by a certain point of the main questline, which is after you guard the missiles on the beach..

The combat system is great in how it balances the melee and shooting. The risks of melee combat are rewarded by its higher damage, and it's more fun to take the battle right to the enemy. The flying mech scenes and the side-scroll platforming add some welcome variety.

"End of the Unknown", the Adam & Eve boss theme, kicks ass. It wouldn't be out of place in a Tekken game (Keiichi Okabe has contributed on most Tekken soundtracks except T1/T2/T4) or a Streets of Rage. Just one example of how great NA's soundtrack is. Each location's BGM track fits the particular environment well.

If Automata sells good enough (and it's been doing decent), SE just might bring the original Nier to current systems and maybe PC.

Got ending C, D and E. Man, thats a good game.

Also, why isn't anyone talking about how good the soundtrack is?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Finch, what do you think of the new game?

(I don't think anyone is going to talk sleeve or hero into not suggesting soiling one game so they can play another now)
    I'm saving it for when i'm done with Zelda. I don't want to drop either for the other.
    Donk

I dropped zelda for a while. I have a small tv and awesome pc monitor. So I went with Nier on the PC.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Also, why isn't anyone talking about how good the soundtrack is?

The soundtrack really is amazing.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.