Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Pick a TV

1. If I was not in the market for a tv, yet one fell into my lap, I would not care how it measured against other sets out there. I think Josh is coming from the same place. The only reason this thread exists is because he was given option A or B and neither would cost him a cent. I'd bet all the rape dollars that if he were only offered the weird set none of us heard from, there would be no "Hay guys is this a good tv?" thread. There might be a post in the haul thread that kinda bragged that his chick is so awesome people hand her electronics for free. But even that is 50/50.

2. Here's the deal: It's 2015. Every single TV you can buy is better than the TVs from 2005, and the TVs from 2005 were already fine.

Either one is a win. Whatever you get will look like a window into heaven compared to any TV you've had up to this point in your life.
    *edit* Unless you're playing 240p video games. Then you need the finest TV the 90s had to offer.

I guess get the one with more hdmi ports. Seems practical.
    Last edited by Cheebs; 30 Jun 2015 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    If I was not in the market for a tv, yet one fell into my lap, I would not care how it measured against other sets out there. I think Josh is coming from the same place. The only reason this thread exists is because he was given option A or B and neither would cost him a cent. I'd bet all the rape dollars that if he were only offered the weird set none of us heard from, there would be no "Hay guys is this a good tv?" thread. There might be a post in the haul thread that kinda bragged that his chick is so awesome people hand her electronics for free. But even that is 50/50.
    All of this is completely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    Here's the deal: It's 2015. Every single TV you can buy is better than the TVs from 2005, and the TVs from 2005 were already fine.

Either one is a win. Whatever you get will look like a window into heaven compared to any TV you've had up to this point in your life.
    *edit* Unless you're playing 240p video games. Then you need the finest TV the 90s had to offer.

I guess get the one with more hdmi ports. Seems practical.
    Even playing modern fare, the input lag on some sets can make it close to unplayable. They really don't take that into consideration almost at all sometimes.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

5. Yeah, but in exchange for all that latency, you get awesome things like unnatural looking frame interplolation and over-saturated funhouse colour.

I have a 60 inch lg plasma. I like it a lot. Looks like it's starting to go. Also, the burn in from gameplay isn't great, and is why I never finished borderlands.

I know borderlands is bad for all tv's, but anything on screen for about 20 minutes will leave burn in for a long time.

Anyway we do want to replace the tv soon, with another 60 inch, but I really don't know what I should get. Any recommendations? I don't need a smart tv.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    I have a 60 inch lg plasma. I like it a lot. Looks like it's starting to go. Also, the burn in from gameplay isn't great, and is why I never finished borderlands.

I know borderlands is bad for all tv's, but anything on screen for about 20 minutes will leave burn in for a long time.

Anyway we do want to replace the tv soon, with another 60 inch, but I really don't know what I should get. Any recommendations? I don't need a smart tv.
    Have you considered looking at the affordable 4K displays?

8. I'm hearing really good things about this year's Vizio P-series

Word I'll look into this stuff.

10. If I were in the market for a new TV I'd be considering one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...sd_al_bw_c_x_1

4K, has Roku built-in, and I've read a lot of good reviews. There are only a handful of companies that actually manufacture the panels that go into their TVs and TCL is one of 'em (http://www.tclusa.com/aboutus/).

Good luck!
    ...because without the bitter, baby, the sweet ain't as sweet.