Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sea of Thieves (Xbox One, PC)

1. Xbox 360 II Sea of Thieves (Xbox One, PC)

Rare finally unveiled their upcoming new IP which looks like a pirate MMO although the developer has said it can be played offline too so I'm not entirely sure what to make of it yet.

The Sea of Thieves page has character renders of the pirates seen in the trailer as well as neat artwork when you scroll down. The Captain Bones twitter page is also showing off asset artwork and answering questions. I'll be honest, this definitely wasn't what I had in mind when I imagined a new Rare's new and I was initially pretty disappointed but the more I saw the trailer the cooler I've been imagining the game to be if you're indeed going to be fighting giant octopus creatures & skeletons, looting, and engaging in naval warfare.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was crossplay as well given the Windows 10 connection which would be pretty awesome. As far as the gameplay goes, the camera angle in the trailer shows 1st person view but I hope there's a 3rd person view too. Graphically it's going for the trademark cartoony Rare look and the water looks amazing, I'm actually hoping you can use the Kinect face scanning to be able to create your pirate in your likeness similar to Kinect Sports but I also want to see a bunch of pre-defined characters as well to set the mood of the world.

2. People liked Black Flag a lot (me included) and I'm surprised it's taken this long for an idea like this to come up again. Tons of potential, it'd be great to get a Rare game that everyone does backflips over. It's been ages.

3. Sea of Thieves is a re imagining of a game "Project Dream" that Rare has been trying to make since the SNES days as well as N64. It would eventually become the original Banjo n Kazooie
    [http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...n/latest/scale-to-width/210?cb=20110222213059

The only known screenshot of Project Dream (Nintendo 64 version), featuring Edison

Project Dream was an unreleased RPG video game that was originally to be developed for the Super NES, but was moved to the Nintendo 64. It was eventually redeveloped into what is now Banjo-Kazooie.

Development
    Project Dream started out in 1994-1995 as a seafaring RPG for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, with the intent of being Rareware's masterpiece on the console, using the ACM (Advanced Computer Modeling) technique of bitmapping pre-rendered graphics, much like the Donkey Kong Country series.

There was a demo of the SNES version with a full introduction sequence and one level, and according to composer Grant Kirkhope, if it still exists, it may be locked away somewhere at Rare's headquarters. Mr. Kirkhope had also commented this on the demo, "I was blown away. It looked beautiful and a step up above the Donkey Kong Country games."

At one point during development, it was determined that Dream was too big a game for the SNES to handle, so it was moved to the Nintendo 64DD, to be redeveloped as a 3D RPG in the style of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (which was first shown at Nintendo Space World in December 1995), featuring a unique 3D terrain system with environments created by stretching out the polygons.

However, the Nintendo 64 lacked the processing power needed to maintain these types of environments at a steady frame rate. Taking inspiration from Twelve Tales: Conker 64 (which was being developed by the Killer Instinct team, and would eventually become the adult-oriented Conker's Bad Fur Day), along with Rareware's previous experience with platforming games, Dream was remade by the development team (whose members had also worked on Donkey Kong Country) into a 3D platformer in the vein of Super Mario 64, but kept some of the elements of the RPG.

After deeming the game's main protagonist, Edison, to be too "generic", Rare began to experiment with several woodland characters that had previously been secondary characters, including "a dopey dog, a rabbit that looked like a man, and a bear." That bear character would eventually become Banjo.

Eventually, Dream was scrapped, and the development team started over from scratch, creating Banjo-Kazooie.

However, eventually Project Dream would be used as a inspiration for Rares newly announced game Sea of Thieves, revealed at the E3 2015.
    As for the game itself, they have described as a "shared world" and Spencer called it a "Large scale co op" game. Which makes me think it might be something more akin to Destiny rather than WOW with Pirates.

4. Rare will fuck the whole thing up.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

5. I hope not! That trailer looked awesome. A first-person pirate adventure sounds really cool.

6. Anyone playing in the Alpha test this weekend?

7. I probably will.

I saw the trailer and still have no idea how this plays, what the loop is, etc.

It's probably going to be terrible, why is anyone getting their hopes up? Anything or anyone that ever made Rare special has been long-gone for some time now (and even they can't make good games anymore.)

9. Apparently the Us won’t get access until 8pm GMT time... whenever the hell that is. It looks interesting and could be fun. I’ll give the alpha a shot, and will have access to the beta, so we’ll see.

10. It’s up.