Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sea of Thieves (Xbox One, PC)

1. I still don’t have access...

2. Xbone only? It's not up on the Windows store.

3. You had to sign up before Dec 1st. I believe there have been PC alpha tests.

4. Any of you nerds going to be playing this? I had zero interest because I have no faith in modern day Rare, but after listening to Nick Brecken talk about it on the idle thimbs podcast I’m definitely getting it.

5. I just saw that it's on the xbox game pass and I haven't used the free trial yet. I'm still gun shy on putting money down on the game so this should be a good test.

6. I’m glad I didn’t put money down on it. I took advantage of the free game pass trial thank god.
    I played for about a half hour, after waiting for an hour and a half for the servers to be turned back on, and did not like it. I chose to play solo so that I could acclimate myself to the game before looking like an idiot in front of other people that probably played the betas 24/7.
    The game tells you nothing. Choose your character and then you’re plopped on an island. Vendors in similar looking buildings have a drop down list of conversation points, but none of them give you any insight into hos to get started. Eventually I founc my boat. But it’s just sitting there at the end of the dock. There’s no gangway to get on it or anything. I saw a ladder on the side of it, so I jumped in the water and sunk to the ocean floor. Figured out how to swim, went to the ladder and nothing. Swam back to land, tried talking to everyone again. This time, I was allowed to “purchase” a voyage quest from two different people even though when l tried to do it 5 minutes earlier I got an error message. A message popped up telling me to place the voyage paper on the table in the captain’s table of my ship. I head back down the dock to my ship, expecting some kind of prompt to push a button or something to gain access to the ship. Nothing. Ship doesn’t look to far away, so I try a running jump. Back into the water I go, sinking like a lead balloon. I surface and see a ladder on the dock. I swim to it and a prompt telling me press x to climb the ladder appears. I turn around and swim back to the ladder on the ship. Now a prompt telling me to press x to climb the ladders appears. I board the ship and enter the captain’s cabin. There’s a map table in front of me. I fiddle fart with the menus trying to figure out how to put the voyage flyer on the table. I cant get it to work. I turn to leave the cabin. Oh, nestled in a corner near where you entered, where you’d not see it upon entering, is another table. Fiddle fart with menus and eventually can be on my way to sailing. That too was a pain in the ass since the gwme doesn’t tell you what all you need to do before you can even get the ship to move. I eventually reached my destination and this new island looks the exact same as the one I left. Same tavern building with the same fat chick standing wt the bar, same signs that I have no idea what the symbols on them meam strewn about, same looking vendors offerng to sell me shit despite me having no money. I had flashbacks of Mass Effect and No Man’s Sky and turn the system off.

Maybe I fucked up by trying to go solo, whatever. At best I felt like I tried to play an old commodore game in which reading the manual was a must, except there was no manual. I’m sure people that have more patience than I will love it. I don’t need to be told to push up on the analog to move forward, but I don’t like being lost in a world I’m supposed to be somewhat familiar with.

7. Short: Don't bother playing solo.

8. cool but boring

k

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    cool but boring

k
    Ya I paid cash money for this to play with my friend because he was very insistent. I...don't really get it. You kill skeletons on islands to dig up chests to get gold to buy....costumes?

The PVP is fun. The water looks amazing. I drank half a bottle of rum and had a party with a group of actual girls with my two mates. I...don't think I ever need to play it again?

The water really does look great.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

OK I finally had an amazing time with this game. Me and three friends (all much higher level, it was only my third time loading up the game) crewed a galleon and did some questing for a while when we saw a Fort come up.

Forts involve a long PVE battle with massive waves of enemies that ends with a boss that drops a key. The key unlocks a door and behind the door is a ton of loot, which you have to carry out piece by piece to your boat.

It's also a massive beacon which attracts lots of players on the server.

We were loaded down with goods when we saw the active fort, so we stopped at a harbor and unloaded all our treasure, and then with a full loadout (300 cannonballs, lots of planks for repair, healing items, etc.) and then we headed back to the fort. When we arrived there were three other small boats already at the fort. We bullied them all, and 2 of us stayed on the boat navigating and battling the other ships while 2 others were dealing with the PVE (which also involved island guns firing at our ship.) We did rotate crew back and forth to the boat while fighting. We ended up sinking two of the smaller boats and driving off the third.

As we finished off the boss we saw TWO other BIG boats (galleons) closing in on us. The idea is that after we did all the work the other ships were going to come in and try to take the key off of us and loot the fort after killing us off. By this point we were more than halfway through our combat supplies. So, we booked it with the key. One of the big ships pulled off and tried to camp the fort island in case we tried to come back for it, and the other ship gave chase. It chased us for about half an hour, as we navigated through some treacherous islands trying to shake them. We couldn't. We were taking a lot of shots as it crisscrossed in our wake. Then a HUGE FUCKING MEGADALON SHARK popped up and rammed us. Think twice as big as Jaws. That hit was like taking 7 cannon shots. We were repairing and bailing and running. At this point we knew we didn't have enough supplies left to make a good fight out of it.

So, we came up with a plan. We cut close to a bunch of islands and at some point we dropped a guy off the side who swam deep under water and came up on the island in a spot our pursuers couldn't see. That guy buried the key in a hard to find spot on this island, and then teleported back to our boat, while we were still running and fighting. We let them chase us for another 5 or so minutes, then we turned around and rammed them and fought a battle we knew we would lose, just so we could sink our ship and respawn with a new ship at a base.

At the base, with our new ship, we changed out all our flags, colors, and ship adornments, and then casually made our way back towards where we buried the key. We encountered a galleon, and we hid in the cabin so they couldn't see our gamertags. They ignored us, and sailed in the opposite direction. We put someone in the crow's nest to look out for other ships, sailed back to our buried key, and retrieved it with no problem, then sailed back to the fort and looted the fuck out of it. We did spot a sloop near the fort but it avoided us, and we looted the fuck out that fort and cashed in.

It was a great time. The loot is still basically meaningless but it was a really fun time. Very tense, full of combat, and we came out as kings of the server.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.